tapering off zopiclone

Posted , 3 users are following.

hello all does anyone know what Ambien is and is this available from the gp is this a class c drug, am thinking of asking my gp for this.. any help would be great, xx

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hello Julie

Ambien is an American brand name for Zolpidem, one of the Z-drugs. I'm sure you've heard and read about. It was a Class C drug well before the other Z-drugs.

Eszopiclone, which is the active part of zopiclone, is licensed for long-term use in the US. It is sold as Lunesta. As far as I know it's not available in the UK by prescription.

[Zopiclone was never licensed in the US. I don't know why, perhaps it was behind-the-scenes power play. Since it does not contain the R-enantiomer, R-zopiclone, I wonder if it is covered by the new scheduling of zopiclone in the UK. Zopiclone is part S-zopiclone (or eszopiclone), but in its pure state, eszopiclone (or S-zopiclone) could not be said to contain zopiclone.]

• Posted

hello robert , nice to speak to some one in us .. i want to ask the gp to give me something to help me taper off zopiclone and havent a clue what to ask for xx
    • Posted

Hello Julie

I'm not in the US, I'm on the other side of Manchester to you, I believe!

I read that sometimes GP's prescribe diazepam, but elsewhere that they're as wary of benzodiazepines as they are of the Z-drugs.

• Posted

ill mension it to my doctor is diazepam a contolled drug robert? sorry though u was in US x
    • Posted

then they may not give this out easy if its the same as zoplclone as c drug
  • Posted

I should hvae written in my previous post: "Since eszopiclone does not contain the R-enantiomer...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.