Tapering Slowly

Posted , 12 users are following.

I have read many times that it's better to taper off Mirtazapine slowly and heard from many people also. It also seems like many people have struggles even when they taper slowly so does this slow taper just make things worse longer? I know cold turkey is never the answer but do people think tapering could be done quicker since it seems you deal with the effects either way?

0 likes, 42 replies

42 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I was only taking Mirt for 6/8 weeks when I got the Night Sweats,I felt poorly one night and stopped taking the drug when I checked reasons for the Night Sweats,i new it was the Mirt as I wasn't taking any other drugs.

I immediately stopped the Mirt and two weeks later I had servear Insomnia and Anxiety,I was then told I shouldn't of really stopped taking it just like that,

As I'd only taken it for a couple of months max, I didn't want to go back on them as I'd gone without for 3 weeks. I had to see it through

For me it lasted a further 4weeks and the W/D are not for the faint-hearted.

I did get help for the sleep,I was prescribed Zopiclone 7mgs for two weeks,this really helped.

Plz check with your GP and I wish you all the luck in the world with your Journey to Recovery!

• Posted

I tapered by 50% for 4 days then another 50% etc etc I had no WD and had been on 30mg for 18 months for sleep probs not depression regards Rosie
  • Posted

Ninth day on 15 mg and don't feel like doing too much and feeling kind of empty. Working out has been a struggle and feel nauseous and really tired after getting finished. Feel more withdrawn and only thing I look forward to is going to bed. This sucks so bad that I just want to lose it!!

• Posted

I've been down on 15 mg for close to four weeks from 22.5 and still having some bad days but tried two ssri medications during this time which definitely was a mistake because they affected me horribly. The ssri medication should have cleared my system by now and now I take the 15 mg of Mirtazapine and 1.0 of clonazepam at bedtime. My sleeping has still been in and out and I don't seem to get a normal sleep at all.

I'm definitely going with my doctors advice but does everyone usually taper down some more after 4 weeks? I'm tempted to just get off it all together and see how I do with just the clonazepam but I know that's not the way to go but I'm tired of the way I feel tired all the time and the way I'm always in and out of sleep. id like some thoughts of others here if you all wouldn't mind as I'm really torn on how to proceed.

• Posted

I have found that tapering down you need to leave at least 4 weeks between reductions. I did a taper of 30 mg to 15 to 7.5 then 7.5 every other day with four week gap between each. I'd tried to do it quicker a year ago but was back on it in no time. I've kept a log of how it effects me and I got w/d for at least the first three weeks each time then things start to improve. I'm now into two weeks taking nothing and only now w/d is getting slightly less. Its a long haul, but I'm going to stick with it, sure given time things will get easier and life without Mirt HAS to be the way to go. Seems to me getting off it symptoms are worse than the ones I first took it for.

• Posted

Thanks Greta, I'm approaching four weeks so I guess I'll try to go to 7.5 soon and these couple weeks haven't been fun but I'm tired of being dizzy and feeling like I always want to be in bed because I'm so tired. Wish I could get off it right away but I know that's not the way to go but I'm determined to get off eventually also I just don't know how long that will be.

• Posted

Rob, take it slowly, I know how you feel. If anything from what I've experienced its best to take it slowly, four weeks taper at a time is absolutely the minimum, I'm sure longer would be good. Bit I felt like you and wanted to get on with it. But even after coming off it totally it seems to take quite some time to get rid of what ever the residue is doing to your brain. Just stick with it, I'm sure we'll get there!

• Posted

Thanks Greta and I'm sure your probably right in not rushing things, I guess I'm just getting tired of the feeling I have a good bit of the day and just want it to be over so I can move on.

• Posted

I couldn't believe it when it went and finding out for definite that it would go was hard to except because I'd never in my life had to worry for my health.

This has been the worst nightmare and we all feel for each other,2017 can only better for us all so enjoy.

• Posted

Hopefully 2017 is better for all of us and we'll all be able to get past our depression or anxiety and live the life we all want. I know I loved my life before all this and I'm praying that I will be able to again someday soon!

Good luck to everyone moving forward and I truly hope nothing but the best for all of you.

• Posted

I can't get past 15 mg because my sleep goes down dramatically even when I ween down to it slowly, I'm so frustrated with trying to get off of Mirtazapine it isn't funny.. I hope others have done better than me with it.

If anyone has any advice or suggestions besides the slow taper I'd sure like to hear it because I'm at a loss at what to do to get get off of it.

• Posted

Hi rob

Lack of good sleep seems to be at the root of your problems. Hope I don't sound too much like your Granny but for what it's worth, when I was at the worst of the w/ds I started a regime which mostly I still stick to as far as going to bed at night.

All screens are switched off at 9pm, mobile, tablet, tv, particularly the latter if as usual there's something really less than relaxing to watch at 9pm. Go to bed and wind down in some other way, I listen to radio or podcasts on my ipod. I don't get to sleep probaby until well after 10 but usually it lasts until the early hours but then I generally go off again quite quickly. Sometimes not but don't panic, just accept you'll drift off eventually.

Some find a magnesium tablet when you go to bed helps, which it did for me but it gave me diarrhoea so I stopped. Milk when you go to bed helps, specially with honey. All stuff you've probably heard before but it works for me. I'm four months since I stopped mirt and although life's not perfect with a passable night's sleep it is getting better every week.

Good luck

Greta

• Posted

Greta,

Thanks for the advice and I've just started magnesium and I'm hoping that it helps some and sleep definitely is my number one issue which the lack of probably makes everything seem worse than it is but insomnia is tough as you already know.

Plainden,

I've developed dry eyes from the Mirtazapine and now have to take restasis and I also sweat a lot when walking or other physical activity. I wish I knew how to get off this stuff in the near future because it is really starting to get frustrating and i don't seem to be able to get off of it..

• Posted

Hi,im taking Magnesium and have done for quite a while.Unsure if it helps but take at a bedtime quite religiously.What I would say is you need to take Magnesium that is the best at being absorbed by the body,I take Magnesium Bisglycinate which i get from the largest online retailer in the world.I used to take the most easily avail Magnesium Citrate but it gave me terrible runs as the body bassically expells it and its not absorbed by the body.
    • Posted

Plainden,

I've started taking magnesium before bed for a little over a week and it has seemed to help so I'm going to stick with it for now and hopefully this helps me in my quest to get off Mirtazapine and be free of these Meds forever. 🙏🏻

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.