Tapering venlafaxine.

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello fellow ven takers ,, a bit of help please.  ive just gone from 150mg ven caps to 75mg caps 1 daily. Has anyone had any withdrawals symptoms with this drop. Thanks very much.        

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi. I'm in process of upping mine and it's taken 5 weeks of hell to settle and from what I'm told reducing dose needs to be done very very slowly so might be best to reduce by 37.5mg first.

Good luck.

• Posted

Thank you Pauline I appreciate that .. if I start feeling rough I'll reduce by that. My doctor never offered me that option! Thank you. Best wishes Michael x

• Posted

Hi Michael

I have been on ven slow release tablets 150mg for just over 2 years. Earlier this month, with the doc's consent, I reduced to 75mg capsules. Need to be on these for 8 weeks after which time he will show me how to taper off completely

The only reaction i noticed was after 17 days when I felt a bit down and achy. I just told myself to ignore it and that I was not going back to how I was before starting medication for bad anxiety. It only lasted for part of the day as I was determined not to start worrying and doubting. It is your mind that has to be in control.

Bless you and take care.

• Posted

Yes, big time. I became very ill after about 4 days. Thankfully I recovered once back on 150mg. I open the capsules and remove one pellet every few weeks. It's working so far. I was on 225mg I'm down to 162.5mg. I started to reduce in October. So far so good.

• Posted

Hi michael37584. I have been on Effexor/Venlafaxine for over 10 years and have been unsuccessful in my attempts to withdraw until recently. Since the 15th November 2016 I have reduced from 187.5 to 37.5 and hope to have reduced fully by the end of this month. I am sleeping better, have a better appetite and feel really optimistic. I have been taking a high doseage of Omega 3 (3000) daily, 2 Vit B12 and 2 Benadryl (used for hay fever allergies etc). My blood pressure has stablised and the zapping and mild headaches have gone. Its still early days for me as it can take up to 6 months to leave the system but it has been found, that some people cannot withdraw from Venlafaxine completely and they have to remain on it permanently. The research suggests that you reduce by 37.5 each week, but we are all different. How long have you been on 75mgs for? Keep talking and keep asking questions. Good luck. 
    • Posted

Hi Debra. This is my 10 day and I'm feeling much better  already !! My doctor has given me a months supply of 75.5 mg and hopefully next month down to 37.5 mg.  fingers crossed.  Thank you. X

• Posted

Hi Michael, good to hear from you. Once you reach 37.5 may I suggest that you do the vitamin thing too as I believe that is why I have been unsuccessful on previous attempts.

Each of those pellets is worth 12.2 and a bit. Making 4 pellets 50mg. That's a really good idea reducing one at a time as that is another reason why I think, this time, my withdrawal is working.

Keep going Michael and let me know how you are getting on. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.