Tapering works..my story.

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all,

It has been one year since I took my last Lorazepam.

I was on them for 20 years.

They worked great for me...I was debilitated by anxiety disorder when I started them...I couldn't leave the house, drive, work, shop etc. And along with a bit of counseling I was able to resume my life.

The only time there was a problem was if I happened to run out.

Once I decided to just stop taking them and by the 4th day I was pretty messed up.

All those years I was just taking 1 mg a day at bedtime.

To stop I gradually went down by halves over a period of 3 months.

.5 mg for a couple of weeks, then down to .5 every second day for a few weeks, then every 3rd day and so on.

I had almost no withdrawal symptoms except trouble falling asleep some nights but I watched ASMR videos and counted sheep.

I feel fine...no anxiety or panic.

If I needed them again I would take them because they were the only pills that worked for me.

But so far so good.

To all of you my best wishes.

Take it slow and eat properly.

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Thanks for posting your very positive story. Great to hear a success story. I am tapering off a low dose of valium. Started at 5mg daily but down to 1 mg for the last couple of weeks. Taken about 3 months to get here. Should I now make a final cut to .5 for a week or so and jump off, be Done?

Thx any advise much appreciated. Shane

• Posted

I would say take as much time as you need...go down to .5 for a couple weeks and then try .5 every 2nd day for 2 weeks...then every 3rd day for two weeks.

By then you should be able to stop all together.

The slower you go the better.

Best wishes

• Posted

Thank you so much! I will take your suggestion. You are right slow is better. Just want to wrap this up😨!

• Posted

Your story is very encouraging. Thank you for sharing.

I'm on 05.mg every night for sleep just for over a couple months now and I'm already getting additional anxiety thinking about coming off this medication. When I tried cutting these in half, I could not fall asleep. I'm not sure if this is because of dependency or still having anxiety/insomnia problems.

How did you know it you were well enough to quit?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.