Tapeworms

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi

Thid is a little gross, but I may have seen a tapeworm in my stool today. I am pretty sure of it plus I have all the symptons. I am feeling a little disgusted. Anyone experience this? What are the

Tests that are done to confirm. Can you take the treatment without doing the test?

Thanks

Vivian

0 likes, 32 replies

32 Replies

• Posted

Vivian,

first: stool assay

Second: blood

Third: mri/ct....to determine if any cysts exist

Treatment:

Praziquantel (Biltricide)

Albendazole (Albenza)

Nitazoxanide (Alinia)

Know this well from family in China countryside....

• Posted

Hi

One more question please. I had a CT scan of the abdomen last year for a female related issue. Would this have shown anything? Also I had an ultrasound 2 weeks ago. A colonoscopy last year. Blood work at emergency three weeks ago. Funny enough after yesterday I am starting to feel a little like myself again. Do no know how long this will last.

Vivian

Vivian

• Posted

The CT scan could have dectected cysts if they were present.

The first step is a fecal assay. If positive for a specific parasite,

Further targeted tests are ordered. Too many types and treatments vary. I have some experience with only the common tape worm and liver fluke. It good news to learn your back to yourself.

• Posted

I hope the "feeling like myself again" lasts forever. The blood work 3 weeks ago could have indicated "something"...do you have a copy of the lab results?  if so, pm me the results.

And just "out of the blue yonder"...you could have expelled a problem ...could have been your immune system response and/or some stuff your are taking, or had taken that had finally "kicked in"...wild guess.

re liver fluke..tutored young chinese med student "in English" via Skype, her thesis was "liver fluke vaccine", so she learned English  and I learned a lot about the liver fluke.

• Posted

Liver/kidney cysts may be present without a parasite implication...the blood work in parasitology is very specific, and physician asks a lot of questions before determinationof which serum assay to use...the standard panel results may not illustrate anything unless there is adequate infection.

If you haven't already been taking Milk Thistle, do so...but first check it out via pub med, plos one, science daily...use only Abstract info.

Do your best to protect these two organs.

• Posted

Vivian,

I will pm you with links, I cannot post them here and yet be compliant with forum rules....in the meantime, keeping your kidney and liver filters as healthy as possible, is plenty of clean water, limit the need for them to metabolize difficult products such as medications, alcohol, and some foods.Milk Thistle has been used for thousands of years for liver disorders...its not a cure all for every liver problem...but at one time it was the only cure for the deadly night cap mushroom.

I'll try and get back to you later, as I have pressing matters to attend....our best to you vivian...Ann

• Posted

Ok thanks so much. Dr gave me bottles for stool sampling. He said the cysts I have in kidney and liver are not parasite cysts. He also said I had a blood test June 1 that was normal. He did not want to do another one. I am in Canada I don't know if we have any blood tests for parasites.

Thanks.

• Posted

Vivian,

that's good news re cysts...of course, blood tests would follow fecal assay...not before.

while I demand to see the ultrasound report, you may not have access? ....I've sent you links to MT and PJ...and tried to clarify cysts in general..be sure and ask if cysts were  ID'd...and sized. I'd be more interested (slight) in the liver cyst...what type, size, and location...also ask dr if it may need to be aspirated or ??

I've found Canadian physicians quite knowledgeable and with good clinical habits....my experiences are within the Toronto and Vancouver area...have a niece and uncle in Toronto plus several friends.So at a far reach, we may be 3 hours apart. Ann

• Posted

Hi

Is a mild herbal laxative OK to take before providing a stool sample?

Vivian

• Posted

Hi

So my stool tests are normal for no parasites but Dr. Wants me to repeat them. Would you know why?

Vivian

• Posted

can only guess..some tests are simple basic...some are much more specific. I would hope Dr. suggested what not to eat/drink pre collection?

You've mentioned occult blood...well some foods mask or confuse the results as well as some meds...In most parasite stool assays, occult blood is also studied.

I suppose you have been awarded more than one vial?...do a google scholar search to see what you might avoid pre collection...then confirm with a good local lab...we use either Quest or Lab Corp but too often  they refer us back to our GP....then we go to a few pharmacists...

If you get stumped...let me know...will try and find some time to search and confirm.

• Posted

Sent you pm with search term but disregard its not parasite relevant..will search again in the morning after coffee
    • Posted

Thank you. I noticed looking back that I seem to have symptons of infection every 2 to 3 months, hence the 4 times that I have been on antibiotics last year. Trying to figure out trigger. Dr. Did not tell me really what to avoid. He only said to stay away from breads. I see Surgeon in 2 weeks.

Vivian

• Posted

Dr not looking for parasites...just avoide NSAID's and vitamins/supplements 48 hours pre collection. Canadian Club is acceptable.

Putting all of your symptoms together nudge me towards Lyme.

The published lyme symptoms are missleading..."some very few" ALS diagnosed patients actually had Lyme and not ALS...and ALS is an MND (motor neuron disease)..unfortunately there are "syndromes" that have similar symptoms...but I cannot match most of them to your stated symptoms and test results. Was unaware of your intermittent infection symptoms..known or unknown cause?

• Posted

dr might be wanting to rule out coeliac dsease...but you've never mentioned vitamin or mineral deficiencies? So, fishing expedition but could be worthwhile. By avoiding bread..pretty much avoiding all flour made foods...good ole pasta included.
    • Posted

Hi

Although my stool tests came back normal for no parasites. I have to do them again. I Don't know why. They are so uncomfortable. I saw some people on the forum do some sort of air test whete they blow into a bag? Do you have any info on that?

Vivian

• Posted

Urea and hydrogen breath tests.NOT for parasite but for hpylori,small bowel bacteria and fungals.

• Posted

In Vivian's opinion, and not that of others including dr's...what "is" your colon problem...and is it in all 3 compartments or? (ascending, transverse, and desending) of course you can use medical diagnostic tests to form your opinion. Its been a while since following your discussions...have been nose deep into Dr Paul Allen Cox's L serine phase I trial and the studies that prompted the trial......Ann
    • Posted

Hi

Mine is in the descending sigmoid area. Both IBS and diverticulosis. Treated 4 times in one year with antibiotics for diverticulitis but only by clinical symptoms with the abcense of fever. Seeing a Surgeon on July 23.

Vivian

• Posted

thanks, some things from memory come back re your condition..kinda.

Its strange (to me) that if a physician suspects Diverticulosis, and prescribes an antibiotic, a 1 week follow up ought to be in place? If its not beneficail...a sigmoid oscopy in dr's office would take place...my primary care physician had the device but my sigmoid was so inflammed he could not enter...he immediately prescribed hydrocortizone enemas...one day...whew...not bad..3 days...my ole self....never has returned.

You know most if not all of the probable causes of IBD...but without an eye ball and perhaps a biopsy...a cause definite? Diets often merely reduce irritations and not remedy. NSAID's can cause more trouble.

Think to have mentioned EPA/DHA..180/120 give or take...this is not a remedy but a protetive protocol....some studies include CLA and Glutamine with good results. Wish it was July 22 today...Ann

• Posted

Thanks. Just reading more into this illnes and it is suggested that more than 2 attacks in the same year results in surgery.

I am thinking that Surgeon will need to do more testing. Hope I don't have to wait too long for that.

Vivian

• Posted

Oh I'm not so certain 2 attacks or more, much depends on intensity, and duration....and i some cases consequences such as infections needing treatment and  rapid weight loss etc.

Vivian, this may be redundant.apology in advance….and my "vivian" thought for the day....

A possible remedy and preventive…IMO..adequate treatment of diverticulitis requires antimicrobial therapy directed against both facultative and obligate anaerobic gram-negative bacteria.

Studies of  lactic acid bacteria strains isolated from kefir are superior to those from other sources for improving glucuronic acid production and enhancing the antibacterial and antioxidant activities.

This study illustrated the potential of Lactobacillus casei and Lactobacillus plantarum isolated from kefir as biosupplements for enhancing the bioactivities of kombucha. If Kefir doesn’t work. Try kombucha but it must have these lactic acid producing probiotics.

All said and done…I don’t know if you have Diverticulosis? The CT is the most productive diagnostic and prognostic indicator of this disorder, and I seem to recall you’ve had one done? But if not……you may have another form of IBD…

The 17th appointment hopefully will clarify?

• Posted

Somewhat vague, but she did have a scan..do not know if US or CT... in some settings, , US,  barium enema, a CT..with and without contrast, and colonoscopy. I think she did mention Dv diganosed without testing? But could be mistaken. Would you pm me with the pdf of the most recent German Dv study?  I'm not a subscriber to the journal. And your personal notes of Dv patient #2 back in the 80's...you posted the info on plm a few years ago, hopefully you yet have...grazie...and xie xie too.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.