Tappering Off Effexor

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all been  175mg down from 200 for 3 weeks now. So far so good. Im going to taper another 25mg at 4 weeks. I started the supplements the 1st week. I had a few leg cramps. I think the magnesium took care of that. I have so much other pain I never know if its from chronic Pain or something new.

I'll post more after next taper and let cha all know how Im doing.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Would you be willing to share what supplements and dosages you are taking to combat the terrible side effects of weaning off this gawd-awful drug?  I ordered the book by James ____ (can't recall his name) but it won't arrive for a few days and I'm anxious to get started to feeling more like a human being.  Thanks for your help and info!  Ree

• Posted

Hiya. I have been on Venlafaxine now for over 10 years and haven't been able to withdraw successfully before now. In the last 3 months I have gone from 187.5 to 37.5 and am ready to withdraw even lower then completely - hopefully.

When I was at the 75mg stage I read on this forum that high doses of vitamins and a antihistamine would reduce the symptoms of withdrawal.

I take 3000mg of Omega 3, Vitamin B12, and a Benadryl morning and night.

You can buy Benadryl from anywhere. There are "own brands" that are available and it doesn't really matter as long as they contain Cetirizine and Hydrochloride. Apparently when you are trying to withdraw from Effexor, the g.p might sometimes prescribe prozac and the ingredients in prozac include the above qualities. I don't know how that works but it does for me. The antihistamine helps you sleep. I am no longer getting headaches or brain zaps, I am not chewing the skin around my nails and I actually feel like doing some exercises. If you like reading on the subject, my bible is "Shoot the Damn Dog" by Sally Brampton and pages 208 - 234 are particularly interesting for people trying to withdraw from Venlafaxine. Good luck.  

• Posted

Wow!  Thank you so much for all the information!!  So, here goes.........biggrin

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.