TAR

Posted , 3 users are following.

I will be having an ankle replacement and was wondering what others have chosen for their device and how well it is working. I am considering a Zimmer as the surgery is done from the outer side the ankle and less problems with nerve damsge.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I didn't have a choice as to which procedure the surgeon used. HE chose Zimmer and I chose not to shop around.

I can tell you that my toes are tingly/numb and they become more tingly/numb as my walking activity increases. My ankle also swells with increased walking activity. I am unable to jog because my ankle pain increases tremendously when I attempt to do so.

I've had 2 MRIs of my ankle after the procedure and the report states that the hardware is installed correctly and has not moved/shifted. As for why I continued to be in pain.....that is an elusive answer. I'm scheduled to have the plate and 6 screws removed but I don't think that will resolve my pain issue.

My unqualified opinion is that I'm having ligament/muscle pain. And perhaps there's tons of arthritis.

I wish I knew why my toes are tingly/numb.

I had my surgery in July 2013 and I'd do it all over again. I wasn't given any guarantees that my pain from DJD would subside but I thought it was worth a try. On the days when my walking activities increase my pain, I wish my ankle/foot had been replaced with a prosthetic ankle/foot.

I recommend that you speak with a neurosurgeon about the nerves that could be affected by the Zimmer procedure. I honestly believe that my toes are tingly/numb because of where the surgeon had to cut.

My answer probably doesn't help you but that's where I am after 2 years. Today is 28September2015 and my ankle hurts to the point of wanting it removed. Most days are not like that but today IS one of those days.

• Posted

well, since creating this account i've conducted my own experiement. 

i've come to the conclusion that for the past 2 years i've sabotaged, unintentionally, my recovery.  i've been wearing custom orthotics for the past 2 years and then one day, the day i created this account and began this conversation, i decided to ditch the custom orthotics to determine if the orthotics was causing my pain.  sure enough, i determined that the orthotic in my right shoe was causing severe pain.  since removing the orthotic i've noticed a huge difference with the way i walk.  i walk just a smidge faster at work and i take less rests while walking between buildings at work. 

well, i think that's promising news towards my recovery.  it's been two years since having my ankle replacement and now is the first time that i've felt that the surgery might actually be a success.  i know i won't fully recover over night but i feel i'm on the road to recovery.  i still can't run, jog, walk very fast, or moonwalk, but i can tell that i am making progress.  i'm leaning towards cancelling my 7th ankle surgery in december.  actually, i'm 98 percent certain that i will cancel the surgery.

• Posted

I had my second ankle replacement March 15 & doing great. I had crutches after both op,s. Did OK with them. My recent op , I had incisions at outer ankle , up the front ankle & the back from hell. My surgeon repaired damaged tendons, stretched the Achilles' tendon. At first my ankle felt very tight , but improved greatly as time goes on. I am now back to walking 3 miles a day.
    • Posted

A second ankle replacement? Wow!

If it's not asking too much, please tell me why you had a second replacement. Did you wear out the first one? Was it a defective product or poor procedure?

• Posted

Oh sorry . I had right ankle replaced in 2008, then left one March 2015. Due to rheumatoid arthritis. Both procedures were done at Glasgow Royal by the same surgeon. He is a very good surgeon. I have had no pain since op. It took a few months to get it going again. It felt tight at the start, but brilliant now.
  • Posted

Hi Edward! Hi Catherine! Thank-you for replying. I have RA and have had 3 joint replacements already and even after this ankle, I am looking at 2 more soon. But, with the ankle replacement surgery being relatively new, I am anxious about trying to do the right thing.....lol.....whatever that might be! So, since each device is different (Star, Infinity, Zimmer etc.), I have learned that each orthopedic surgeon is generally taught how to replace only 1 device. Therefore, my first step is trying to find which one I want and then to find the surgeon who is trained for that device. Same holds true for all other joint replacements. I am so sorry to hear that you are in pain Edward. Now, I am reconsidering. Catherine do you know what type of TAR device you have? By the way, I'm from USA....Vermont.
  • Posted

I do not know which device I have . But it works.. No pain whatsoever. I am 64 yrs and from UK

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.