Tarbinafine advice please

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi all,im looking for some advice.

I was diagnosed with palmoplantar pustulosis psoriasis on my left foot (yep just my left one,how weird) about 1 year ago and was prescribed a steroid cream for it.

It has never cleared up really just slightly improved.

Anyway my big toenail started going bumpy,misshapen and discoloured a few months back an i just assumed it was also the psoriasis effecting it untill a fortnight ago i went to the GP's and she said it looked fungal and i had to send a clipping off to get it tested (minging)

It came back as positive as fungal nail and the GP has today prescribed me Tarbinafine tablets 250mg and said i need to take them for 6-9 months

He told me i could go away and think about it as my Liver would have to be monitored regularly with blood tests (ive never had any problems with my liver before)

Ive been googling the medication and am not seeing very good reviews,has anyone got any advice for me PLEASE????

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I see that your post was 3 months ago but I wondered if you had taken the Tarbinafine?

I was prescribed it for toenail fungus but after reading all the horrible reviews on it plus the liver monitering I decided against taking it.

• Posted

Hi Carol, yes I did take them (reluctantly) about a month later than I should have, only because I was concerned like you about the liver problems. But unfortunately my fungal toenail infection spread to all my nails in my left foot and I couldn't bare it anymore.

I'm 2 months in now, had my first blood test which was fine, my nails are slowly improving, though I think it's going to be a long haul.

The only bad thing I can say about them is, they taste revolting, especially if you get one stuck in your throat.

Good luck.

xxxx

• Posted

Hi BeeBee,

Oh it's good to hear your blood tests came out ok and that your nails are on the mend. The liver thing was a big concern to me but I'd read of so many other potential side effects also. LoL on the horrid taste because I have a habit of getting pills stuck in my throat so that definitely would be me😝

Good for you though for starting on them and best of luck to you also!

• Posted

The nurse who took my bloods explained everyone is petrified of the "liver damage" side effects, but she did say that its mainly for people that have had liver problems in the past and if by any chance there were any problems they would be picked up on your 1st blood test at 4-6 weeks and the treatment would be stopped immediately.

Like all things everyone is different.

I just couldn't bare my foot looking like something out of a horror movie anymore 🀣

Hopefully next summer I will have painted toenails and sandals on xx

• Posted

lol hopefully. Oh I forgot to ask you if there was any soreness with your nails. Mine have been quite sore and one nail is coming off.

• Posted

Mine were sore before taking the tablets but not anymore.

They were tough as old boots as well,I couldn't even cut them but now the bad bits have softened and are crumbling off but I guess it's allowing the new nail to come through healthily.

I'm still puzzled how I got this horrible thing and on just one foot, I live on my own, I don't share towels, don't go swimming, certainly am not manky lol, it's a mystery xx

• Posted

I live on my own too and don't share a thing lol. They say that an infection can set in from a prior injury or even from wearing too tight of shoes so I guess it doesn't necessarily have to result from bacteria. That's what I was told by the doctor. He said it could even be from stubbing your big toe and not even remembering you did it. I guess even a slight injury can mess up your cells and then it becomes an infection. Who knows anymore 😏

• Posted

Oh wow i wasnt aware of that,thanks.I just want rid of it,i know its only cosmetic but it certainly isnt very pretty lol.The mind boggles.Do you have it on one foot or both?Or am i just a weirdo lmao 🀣

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.