Tardive Dyskinesia Help

Posted , 4 users are following.

I joined this site to share some information.  My wife has TD and has had it for a year or so and it keeps her from getting a restful sleep among other thing.  She has tried the Vitamin E treatment and no success.  The doctor put her on Buspar to see if that would help and no change.  I have done a lot of research on this and found someone with some success with Klonopin.  I take that so I gave my wife 2mg in the am and 2mg at night.  Major improvement after a day or so.  She still takes Buspar and we will see about that soon, but the great thing is there is 80% less TD movement.  Hope this helps someone.  Love to know

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I have also been researching since neurologists who have seen me, keep drawing my History from my normal Neurology examination that was done 82 days before I suddenly developed a movement disorder after only taking two consecutive 300 mg  doses of Gabapentin / Neurontin.

Tardive Dyskinesia and Acute Dyskinesia is very frustrating since a person can no longer walk or look normal, and even more so when doctors prefer to blame our movements on a psychological disorder, and protect the offending RX drug. . 

I know your wife really appreciates your support. 

I have heard that Klonopin is good for helping lessen the uncontrollable movements, but since you mentioned sleep problems, I have found that a muscle relaxer, about 3/4ths of 4 mg of Tizanadine helps me, along with 2.5 mg of Zolpidem. I found that less is better since I don’t want to become a sleep walker since my ataxia would knock me down.

I have had my movement disorder for almost 10 years, and I haven’t received treatment even though my new doctor has tried to find me help, all because of quoting,”no facial asymmetry, and normal arm swing while walking,” from old records. Good grief, are they blind? I know my nose has the twitching Rabbit Syndrome, and constant teeth clicking (Palatal myoclonus,) caused my facial expressions to go to pieces.

If your wife needs a Support Group, tell her I would like to hear from her, if she is capable.  

I don’t know how anyone deals well with this condition that no one deserves. 

• Posted

I hope you know I meant, if your wife is capable of holding still enough to type.
  • Posted

Hi Beth, Actually my wife only had the mouth and tongue smacking of TD after years on several antidepressants. She is not one to get on the computer so I will extend your offer to her, but don't expect she will.  She also was on Tizanadine and zolpidem put we found them to be very habit forming and the Tizanadine was contributing to some very vivid dreams.  She is now off the zolpidem and the Tizadadine, and doing much better.  She can sleep with no issues now and she still has dreams, but no nearly as bad.

• Posted

Thanks for telling me that your wife isn’t  a computer enthusiast like me.  I have only had my iPad for several years. 

Even though I stopped being a recluse several years ago, I still have a lot of time to kill. 

It sounds like her TD is getting better and I hope she completely recovers. 

• Posted

GREAT improvement for my tardive dyskinesia/dystonia. I had severe blepharospasms, throat spasms and blow fish movements of the mouth. 8 days ago, I started taking 1.5 mg VRAYLAR and 12mg. AUSTEDO at bedtime. I've tried 20 antipsychotics with Ingrezza and other parkinson"s drugs to no avail. Everyday my condition improves more and more!!!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.