Tarsal Tunnel Syndrome

Posted , 2 users are following.

I have been suffering from pain in both my feet for over a year. It started out with just numbness in my toes but has affected my entire foot. I have tingling, electrical sensations in my ankle and foot. The longer I am on my feet my toes feel painful even swollen and warm at times.  After many doctors and test I was told by my internal medicine Doctor I had tarsal tunnel. My poidiatrist had given me a steroid injection to see if that would give me relief and it did not help. I found a podiatrist in Houston that specializes in the treatment of TTS. He confirmed the diagnosis and I was told my only option was tarsal tunnel release surgery. I have had to quite my job and put my business on hold until I feel better again. I decided to do the first surgery it's been 8 days since my surgery and I am discouraged and in pain and I can only do stretching exercises with my foot I was told I need to try and put weight on my foot and walk soon. My feet are still numb and I was wondering if there is anyone who has gone through this surgery and could tell me about your experience and recovery process from this surgery. 

Thank you! 

Karen 

2 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hello Karen

Hope you are feeling better. I read a lot about the problem and read that after surgery you need to use your foot as soon as possible. So if I were you I'd follow the doctors' recommendations. Be brave. I imagine how painful this might be. But be strong and brave. Try to find scientific articles about TT surgery. It is always good to read and learn about the problem.

My doctors/consultants also told me that they did all that they could and next step for me would be surgery. But they also said that it would be better for me to try to manage the condition first and if it gets unbearable, then I could think of surgery. So this is what I am doing at the moment and it seems that it is working.

My problem started on Nov 14 and just this year that I felt an improvement. I think that the aircast book helped me a lot. I was on/off the boot during the day, so I could use the feet as well.

I wish you a fast recovery. I hope all goes well with you. 

Cris

• Posted

Hi Cris!

I appreciate your response thank you for taking the time to talk to me. It's been day 11 and I am so frustrated I was confident that this surgery would help me and I am beginning to worry that it will not.

My foot feels numb and tingling the swelling has gone down but I feel like I am going to have to get a walker to try and bear weight on my foot. I know I need to do this and I am going to try. My next appointment is Friday for another bandage change then stitches come out a week later. I have tarsal tunnel in both feet and I wish I would of tried non surgical treatments first. I was only given injections and that did not help me. They never once gave me another option. I was a full time sales rep and spend a lot of time on concrete floors and traveled with my job and I also own a food truck and worked my business on the weekends. The last 6 months I have been in a great deal of pain so I was assured this procedure would get me back to normal so I could get my life back.

I had to quite my full time job and put my business on hold. Before I was diagnosed with this condition I was in the process of opening a bakery store front so all of this has been so frustrated to me. I have to use my knee scooter to get around and I'm so ready to feel better again. I also question the decision to have this surgery on my right foot in the future because if I don't see results with the left one I will not subject myself to another surgery. I have read it could take any where from 3 months to a year for full recovery and my second surgery is schefuled for next month and I can't do this again that soon. Thank you Cris and so happy to talk to you!

Karen

• Posted

Hi Karen. Oh I feel for you. I imagine the pain. There are less than two weeks that you had the intervention. I was thinking... maybe it is normal that you feel this painful?! Try to walk a bit, maybe you could do it while your doctor watches you? He might encourage you and assess your walking and also advise you on what else to do.

You are seeing him tomorrow, ask him about scar tissue, how to avoid it.

If I were you I would wait for at least 3 months to see how your recovery goes, then decide on what to do. Or even wait longer...  

I see you are now part of the other TTS discussion on this site. There is a lot of experiences sharing there. 

Keep strong. Try to walk a bit every day. Slowly but surely as they say here in England. Drop me a 'line' if you want to talk!!

• Posted

Hi !

Thank you for your caring and great advice! It has helped me to talk to others who are going thru similar experiences.

I have been emailing the nurse at the doctors office daily she has gone through the same surgery 10 years ago so it does help to get her advice. I return to the doctor on Friday that will be week 2 of my recovery. I walked a couple steps with the aid of a walker which makes me feel really old!! Lol

I can't do any pressure on my foot without the support of the walker. My daughter is an OT and works with kids she keeps on telling me that it will take a little longer for me to recover and have faith!

Karen

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.