Taurine and ... chocolate?!?!

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've been fighting some kind(s) of arrhythmias for years now, and found that taurine-foods and taurine pills helped, but did not eliminate the problem.  Recently I tried a higher dose of taurine and that seemed to help more, but also seemed to bring a couple of even worse episodes.  Hard to decide if that was progress or not.  And then, for reasons, on top of the taurine I started nibbling a small piece of dark 85% chocolate for dessert after meals.  And OMG!  That seems to have helped even more, and so far, none of those worse episodes.

I have no idea why or what ingredient in chocolate could possibly have such benefits.  Caffeine.  Sugar.  A little beta blocker.  Other random antioxidants and alkaloids.  No idea.  But I thought I'd share it here, fwiw.

One other thought - the ingredients in Red Bull are - taurine, caffeine, sugar - and some b-vitamins.  And a lot of water.  And a lot of advertising.  Strange?  I never did like the stuff, but just maybe this is a good combination somehow, and for more than mixing with vodka and cranberry juice?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi JX... If you can find anything that relieves your symptoms then do it unless it contravenes your medical advice, Personally I had severe ectopic arrhythmia for many years and I tried most remedies but relief proved psychoschematic.... Then  one morning I woke up and they had just disappeared without any help from me... still a mystery... For purposes of my own investigations I would like to know if your arrhythmia stops at night..Good luck and I hope thing improve for you .
    • Posted

Roger, yes it stopped at night - which was a tremendous relief, because my AR had been at its worst any time I lay down!

Of course trying to figure this stuff is extremely challenging, these kinds of questions and studies should be done in an organized manner with the usual controls and statistics, not one-off anecdotes.  But what else can we do?  Yes, they do come and go for no apparent reason, and then you look at what you can see and get invalid "operant conditioning" and invalid conclusions.  But just now and then, it is valid.  So you have to look!

And I have had enough success with nutritional and OTC remedies that the doctors insist on ignoring, to encourage further effort.

Thanks,

• Posted

Caffeine in any form is a trigger for AFib. As is alcohol, ice cold drinks, dehydration, I tried Taurine as a supplement and it didn't help me at all. Good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.