Tax credits to universal credit

Posted , 5 users are following.

helpppppp. ... I've been claiming working and child tax for several years now and I was off sick from work I was told by advisor at job center that to claim my earnings that I lost ( aas my work wouldn't pay me ) she told me if I apply for UC I'll be able to claim back my loss off earning however she never informed me that this means you loose tax credits etc, so when I went to job centre today to do a i'd check i was then told that tax credits would stop I was distraught I suffer from mental health so can't go any changes and I've been informed by tax credits that this is right they recieved information 20 min àfyer I left job centre that I'm claimingg UC now ! Is there any way I can have this reversed ? a dont want ro claim any benifits jyst want my tax credits to stay the same I pat child care and everything I'm demented please some one help I've been mislead info thanks l.

0 likes, 6 replies


6 Replies

  • Posted

    I'm sorry to bring you had news but as you asked to claim because you had no earnings you were correctly advised to claim UC.

    Now that you have you Can not go back to tax credits as due to change in your circumstances the tax credits will be the wrong amount.

    You can only go on with your UC claim, tax credits are being replaced by UC and will no longer even exist in the future.

    I wish I could give you better news xx

    Report Reply
  • Posted


    I'm not sure why you were told that you could claim the earnings you lost by claiming UC because this certainly isn't correct. Only in the most extreme circumstances can UC be backdated for just 1 month. As you were claiming tax credits then your UC will not be backdated.

    As you've now claimed UC i'm afraid there's no going back, even though you were wrongly advised. Once you confirm your identity at your job centre then your UC claim becomes live and your other benefits such as tax credits, housing benefit (if you claim it) will stop from the day you claim UC because they no longer exist for you now. Housing benefit is paid for a further 2 weeks after your UC starts and then that will stop.

    Your tax credits will be transferred to UC and be paid as 1 monthly payment. There's at least a 5 week wait for your first UC payment so you'll need to budget for that too.

    As tax credits is worked out as a yearly figure, you may have an overpayment on that. If there's any over payment then they will deduct it from your future UC payments.

    If you're struggling to work or your currently claiming SSP from your employer then you'll need to hand in a sick note from your GP for UC.

    The best thing you can do is to use a benefits calculator to see how much UC you could possible claim. Links can't be posted here but you can search for a benefits calculator by using google. They are fairly accurate providing you put in all the correct information.

    I'm sorry i can't bring you any good news.

    Report Reply
  • Posted

    thanks for your reply guys absolutely raging will I still recieve my sons child tax credits? and help with my childcare this is an absolute nightmare could just die right now !

    Report Reply
    • Posted

      a mean child tax credits under universal credits ? i don'twant to be on benifits I've never been on them apart from housing benifit but I've always worked my childcare provider also gets paid weekly so don't know how this is going to work out arghhh gh so annoyed way woman that told me that workz for job centre aswell .

      Report Reply
  • Posted

    For UC there's different elements. The standard element depending on whether you're single or a couple. Child elements, which replace child tax credits, £277 for the first child and £231 for each additional child, without disabilities. No extra money for 3 or more children born after April 2017.

    Housing element, if you claim housing benefit. There's also a work allowance because you have children, which is increasing in April this year. If you don't claim the housing element then your work allowance is higher. This means that you can earn that amount of money before you start to see deductions. Those deductions are 63p for every £1 over. Search google for work allowance universal credit.

    Child care elements are payable BUT because UC is paid in arrears you have to pay the child care and then claim it back. Again, lots of information on google about this.

    Some people are actually better off under UC than they were claiming tax credits, believe it or not. Use the benefits calculator as advised and that will tell you what you should be claiming, depending on your earnings.

    Report Reply
  • Posted

    ****** update ****

    after a long hard push to get my credits back long emails phone calls and even letters all complaining and stating my reasons I got them back to normal thank the lord just need to wait on my 3rd pip review now 😌😌😌

    Report Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up