Tea tree oil soap, salicylic acid and benzoyl peroxide

Posted , 1 user is following.

I originally posted this as a response to another post, but I would like to share my experience with MC with everyone.

My 3 year old just got over MC. He was misdiagnosed with warts at first, and his pediatrician did two cryo treatments on him - no change and in fact seemed to get worse. When he was finally properly diagnosed, we were told to take him to a pediatric dermatologist. I started researching online and was horrified to learn that this thing could go on for months and months. Then I found this forum. Thanks to this patient board, I started to use tea tree oil soap (Dr. Bronner's), salicylic acid and benzoyl peroxide on my son, twice a day, prior to his appointment with the ped derm (which was two weeks down the road). In addition, we never let him wear something or use towels more than once without washing it (I had a lot of laundry for a while). The combination of these three items and being very careful with clothing and towels really worked. We noticed that the spots started clearing up within a week of starting this treatment. By the time we got to the ped derm, most of his spots were drying up and fading. The ped derm told us we were on the cutting edge of medicine as recent studies had come out showing that salicylic acid was an effective treatment of MC. He further stated that he would NEVER freeze off the MC on a child; it is just too painful a treatment for children to have.

I highly recommend trying the tea tree oil soap, salicylic acid and benzoyl peroxide combo. It may cause some minor discomfort for your child (mild stinging and drying of the skin), but it beats hearing your kid screaming from the cryo treatment.

I hope this is of some help. It is a frustrating condition to deal with. Best wishes to all of you.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

My 4 year old son has just been diagnosed with MC and I didn't realise how awful if can actually be until I came home from the doctors and did some research - I was told that it might be a good idea not to share towels but that he was fine to be around other children and even to go swimming! (now i'm not so sure about the swimming and we definitely will be having seperate towels).

Where do I go for the treatments that you suggest - can you buy them over the counter? I have heard of tea tree oil but i wouldn't know it which form to use it.

Thanks to anyone who can help.

• Posted

Hi

I have just had my 5 year old son diagnosed with molluscum contagiosum. The doctor told me to let it run it's cause. I have read your thread and noted down the three items. Please can you tell me where to buy them from and exactly what I do and with which treatment.

Thanks very much.

Sue

• Posted

My Son, Malcahi (nearly 3) have had MC for about 3 mths now. It started in his armpit. We did not know what it was until we saw our Doc. He gave us some cream and but still it spread all over his right side and down his leg. It all started from his Brother (10) on his arm from a pupil at School. He was lifting Malachi and that was how he got infected. Having read all the blogs, yours sounds better. Like the others have stated, where can i get the three items please?

Jason

Romford, England

• Posted

I haven't been back to this site in some time. My apologies.

I live in the US. The tea tree oil soap can be found in any organic/natural products store. You may also try your local pharmacy. Additionally, Neutrogena puts out products containing salycilic acid and benzoyl peroxide. These are the same items used to treat acne.

Good luck!

• Posted

I would concur with the salycilic acid recommendation. I \"discovered\" my MC about 3 weeks ago. I did many, many things in an attempt to cure them, but the treatment that seemed to have the quickest response was using my Apricot Scrub acne face wash on them. They went down, without ever popping, and I'm now free of the evil lil buggers.

I had about 20, some quite large, and three weeks later I'm clean as a whistle. Pretty good response.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.