Teaching with FM

Posted , 6 users are following.

Is anyone else teaching with FM? If you are, did your head make any adjustments for you? I've been off twice this year for apps three weeks each time and am worried about how exhausted the job is now making me,but I can't go part time or leave. It's not really a job where you can stop in the day if you need to!

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Sparklewhizz, I'm sorry but I can't give you any advice, only sympathy. I was a teacher but I took early retirement five years ago at 55. The job is a nightmare when you are fully fit and it's becoming more and more demanding if that's possible. Teachers are leaving the profession in droves. Those who doubt just how horrendous the workload is should try it for themselves for a term before they criticise. Having only recently been diagnosed with Hypothyroidism and Fibromyalgia, I would say that teaching would be impossible. Since retiring I have enjoyed working one morning a week, on a voluntary basis, in my local school but now have had to give it up as I feel too unwell. Sorry I can't offer anything other than empathy at the moment but know that I wish you well and hope you can find a solution. 
  • Posted

Hi Sparklewhizz

I teach in an FE College. I teach Maths and English and it's very full on! I had to go on sick in March because I couldn't function, it was a 30+mile drive to work, and that was difficult, then standing and teaching I found so painful and exhausting, apart from my issue with the fibro fog, when I couldn't remember what I was saying - not the best approach with a class of 16 year olds. I tried to change my work regime so that I could just stay on one campus and not have to travel an extra 25 miles 2 days a week and reduce my actual teaching day, but unfortunately it wasn't possible, so my GP signed me off completely.

I am not sure what will happen in the next few months, but I suspect I will need to see OH, that will also mean a 30+ mile drive!!

I don't suppose this helps you at all, but, I do appreciate how difficult it is for you!

• Posted

Hi Sparklewhizz;  No I can't help with your actual situation, either, but just letting you know, that I don't understand how "anyone" can work/function propely at any job, let alone a High Demanding role.....hence the reason I had to retire too.   Please think of All aspects, including yourself and Your needs before making a Final Decision.....would it help even if you took 12 months off (without pay/long service/sick leave) and see if your body recovers enough to try again?   And in that time, try treating the Exhaustion and Pain   go onto Net and find ways of treating these 2 symptoms   (the exhaustion I feel has a lot to do with our Thyroids)????     Good luck.....Bron
  • Posted

Hi sparlewhizz I really feel for you , I had to give my job up as a full time carer because I could no longer manage it, if you went part time is their any benefits you could claim to help you. I think its going to take its toll you and make you more sick trying to do your job. As i know how demanding a teachers job is as  friend of mine is a teacher. would you still get paid if you took some long term sick off as bronwyn sugested. take care gentle hugs
    • Posted

Hope you are able to find a solution to your problem you have my every sympathy. trying to carry on working with fibro is a very hard thing to do as it can make you even more ill. where you can be laid up for weeks or months. it happened to me I spent 6 months in bed unable to walk very ill having to have carers in full time to look after me. this has happened to me 3 times now its just not worth it. I feel so guilty for not working and would do anything to be able to go back out to work. people that are still working are finding it very hard to doing it. take care gentle hugs let us know how you go on its not easy 
  • Posted

Hi I am a SEN Teaching Assistant.

I have had some time off.My doctor gave me a note for the head teacher to ask if she would reduce my hours but she ignored it, even though I had to have more time off.

I am changing jobs in September so I can go part time.

I don't think people understand how WE all feel.

We don't want pity just a little understanding some days.

Take Care Mace x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.