Tears

Posted , 9 users are following.

i was feeling good this weekend, walking a lot so decided it was time to get on my bike.  Oh no it wasnt.  Bend not enough for me to go out on the road safely.  Back to static bike for just now.  Very sad

6 months tkr

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

This is an awful operation just when you think you have turned a corner something else knocks you back! 

I have been told not to drive go swimming or anything else till I see the consultant. I am five and half weeks TKR. 

What is your bend? I'm not a bike rider so sorry if this sounds silly. If you can ride a static is the movements the same as an ordinary bike? 

We just have to think that next week we will do this. Good luck x

• Posted

Bend has never been good, its around 100. Small cycle fine it was me wobbling and not safe to go on road yet 
    • Posted

You will get your confidence back its just taking time, good luck with it.
  • Posted

Oh no I was thinking about doing the same next week as fine on static bike but only ten weeks post op
  • Posted

Hi Carol,

Get on your exercise bike and when you are comfortable cycling on the current settings, lower your seat by about an inch (25mm). This slightly increases your bend, when you are comfortable on that setting repeat the process and your bend will gradually increase. Don't forget the pain meds and ice. This helped me a lot and I hope it works for you.

Regards Paul.

• Posted

Yes this is absolutely the way to go Paul. I started off with the seat higher and then dropped it a notch and that really helps. I would also suggest just trying outside on a very quiet bit of road or cycle path, you are bound to wobble a bit because you probably still have uneven musculature in your legs.  Just because it didn't happen today doesn't mean it won't be OK tomorrow - just keep trying!  It is SO annoying when you feel limited.
    • Posted

Yes the disappointment was intense!  Must keep mentally up there.  I think the mind keeps you strong
  • Posted

Well at least you can do a static bike! I can get so far then pedal backwards
  • Posted

Aw don't cry you are progressing everyday even if you don't feel like you are. Secret healing is going on. Maybe walk your bike to a flat quiet place just get a few yars of cycling in to build up your confidence it will come in time xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.