Techniques to stop tachycardia

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi guys. So I accidently came off propranolol 3 times a day because we run out and couldnt get any more until tomorrow. I've been tachycardic for about 3 hours and right now my heart rate is 130 but it was 180 whilst resting which is really high. 80 is my average. Just want to know how I can reduce this as I'm feeling really breathless and dizzy and tired with it. I only got taught to cough hard to restart it. Thanks all.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi XoMonkey,  I can only speak for myself but, when I used to have episodes of SVT (Supra Ventricula Tachycardia)  and when I was in A&E.  A doctor taught me how to bring my heart rate down.  There are three techniques I was taught (not to use all in one go)  (1) Bearing down as if on the toilet.  (2) By closing your eyes and rubbing your eyelids.  (3) By very gently and lightly rubbing the carotid artery in the neck in a circular movement for a few seconds.  There are two carotid arteries one on the right and one on the left side of the neck.  It is the one on the left side of my neck that I have very gently and lightly massaged in a circular movement that has worked for me.  But, always seek medical attention should you be worried about anything.  Hope this helps in some way.

• Posted

Hi gg02836,   No, I haven't had any tachycardia for quite some time now.  Although, I do believe taking Bisprolol has helped as SVT and AFib are linked so a doctor told me awhile back.  Sotalol is another drug that's good for SVT.  It helped me for many years with no side effects.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.