teenager due to have PS op

Posted , 3 users are following.

My son who is 16 is about the operation. We arewondering if because o his age the recovery will not take as long and also how does it actually effect your day-to-day life?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Yes teenagers do heal more quickly, the time taken to heal really depends on how big an incision has to be made to drain all of the infection. After his op he will be a bit sore they normally pack the cavity with ribbon gauze which will need to be taken out the next day by a nurse and have some more put in, this is quite painful and probably the worst bit of the whole thing he will have to have this done daily until the cavity heals. The idea is to let it heal from the inside out, if it just closes over on the outside it can leave a cavity inside which will fill with pus and create the same problem over again. The best thing he can do is have 2 or 3 nice warm baths a day especially after a bowel movement and before his dressing change to make it easier to remove. Dont use any bubblebath or anything though just plain water. Ibuprofen and paracetemol taken alongside each other will help with any pain and swelling. He may not be able to sit comfortably for a week or so. Make sure he eats lots of fruit and veg and drinks lots of water this will keep his poo nice and soft to prevent it from hurting when he goes.

Best of luck hopefully he'll be as right as rain in a couple of weeks smile

Keep us updated

• Posted

The process of healing should be complete in less than 2 months.MIne took a month & a half.

The reason for such a long period is wound is not stitched.It needs to heal from the inside.It requires daily packing.My sinus was a pretty deep one.In 3-4 days,you should be able to climb up & down stairs,though slowly at first.Walking is probably necessary daily to flush out discharge during the healing process.I personally had a lot of discharge & i felbetter only after it came out.Sitting will be painful.Make sure to provide a lot of cushioning on the seat.Normal work can be resumed in 2-3 weeks even thought the wound would not have close & would require dressing.

• Posted

Thanks poorly bum and SN - I appreciate your advice. Will keep you updated. His surgery is due next week.
  • Posted

i am only 15 i had an oparation exiscion of pilonidal sinus 16th november 2007 i had to hav it stitched up but the last stitch wouldn't heal so i had 2 keep going 2 the hospital and they put this chemical on the stitch 2 make it heal it healed the week b4 but don't worry your sons will heal quicker than mine i hope. i wish your son good luck.
  • Posted

I don't want to worry you but my son 16 years had an open excision 01 August 2007 it still has not healed on the down side he could not sit for eight weeks he was absent from school for nearly three months but he is managing to catch up with his work he is doing highers this years so it is a concern, school very good sending work home and providing him with a more comfortable chair when he returned to school, on the plus side even though it has not fully closed he is getting on with his life, he has no pain or discharge worksout regularly and doesn't let bother him. I sincerely hope that your son has better luck as this sucks
  • Posted

We are now in day3 post op. So its very early days. No problems at all at this stage except for sorting out when to bathe and that very personal issue of toileting. My son's incision is very long and quite deep, but so far he is not in pain. We are concentrating on providing a good diet, and good nursing care. Its sounds like everyones experience is different. Thanks for the support folks.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.