teeth

Posted , 8 users are following.

I am starting to have problems with my teeth due to dry mouth from sjogrens. Does everyone lose their teeth with this disease? Anyone kept their teeth and if so, how?

Also, I work full time and I am getting really worn out. But I need to work for the insurance. I am just getting hopeless. Any tips on teeth or anything else would help. Any stories of hope would be great.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

How old are you? I lost a tooth a few years ago, but mainly due to a bad cap by a quack dentist. I'm in my early 60s.

• Posted

I've kept my teeth - well, most of them, but of the three I lost one was due to a childhood accident and two to dental malpractice. I'm 73 now.

Other than that, I've never had a problem with my teeth, so can't really help you. I don't have a particularly dry mouth most of the time. It comes and goes, like all my other SS symptoms, but I have gone through some very bad patches, with sores all round my mouth and my teeth sticking to my gums.

I don't do anything in particular. I visit my dentist for a check-up and descale once a year, manually brush my teeth very meticulously twice a day with a normal toothpaste, rarely eat or drink anything sugary (no sweet tooth) and take small sips of water throughout the day. Small, regular amounts of water tend to be better than drinking a lot at any one time, as this tends to wash away what little saliva you have.

The disease affects all of us in different ways. I know there are others who've lost teeth and will be able to come in with more tips.

• Posted

Correction - the second para of my post above should end: "...with sores all round my mouth and my lips sticking to my gums." I wish we had an edit function on this site.

• Posted

Do you take any particular medications on a regular basis ?  Or anything particular when you go through a particularly bad stretch???  Thank you. 
    • Posted

Not for my mouth, no.

I use various eyedrops - dry eyes are my most serious issue at the moment - a steroid inhaler for my SS-related asthma, and take levo-thyroxine for an underactive thyroid, which is almost certainly another consequence of SS. Incidentally - as aitarg taught me when I first went on the inhaler - if you are using a steroid inhaler it's vital to rinse thoroughly, and preferably spit, after each use. This stuff can seriously damage your mouth. That being said, two years down the line, and having scrupulously looked after my teeth and taken note of aitarg's advice, I've had no noticeable deterioration in my dental health.

I can also endorse what Margot says. Scrupulous care of your teeth, including regular visits to the dentist, can slow down the damage, though it doesn't completely prevent it in all cases

• Posted

Even though blood work and 2 biopsies are negative for Sjorgrens, I have many of the symptoms per my Rheumatologist.

The teeth issues I can address.  What problems are you having?  Yes, you can lose teeth and good dental hygiene is a must!  I just had $13,000 in dental work done.  My gums were receding and teeth getting loose but I already had two, permanent partials.  Was told by a dentist and oral surgeon that it is very difficult for people with dry mouth to wear a denture.  I also have bone loss but am fem, 68 and have Osteo.  My dentist did new bridges and crowned what teeth I have left and it is all bonded.  Insurance would pay nothing as they don't agree with the treatment, meaning, they think I should have dentures.  A friend of mine went through this same dance with her insurance company.  Dental implants are very expensive and not sure what insurances cover that.  I would suggest you start doing these things now, daily.  Brush with a soft toothbrush.  Floss daily.  Get a gum stimulator (at the drug store) and use that daily.  Ask your dentist for a prescription for PreviDent forDry Mouth and use that daily.  The only thing that helps me some is Biotene.  I use the rinse at home and carry the spray.  Maybe you won't get this bad but better to do what you can.  Good luck!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.