Teeth Clenching

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have been on Sertraline twice, once 4 years ago, and I've been on them for 5 months this time. The only side-effect I have is clenching my teeth, so much so that the muscles on either side of my face are enlarged & I'm getting headaches & jaw-ache. My dentist made me a tooth guard to wear at night last time, but it just felt horrible, so I didn't wear it.

Has anyone else had the same problem?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi there. I also am 'teeth clenching' alot and getting jaw ache and headache. I tried Sertraline as an alternative to Prozac as I felt I was gaining a lot of weight with Prozac (despite what they say, you gain weight). I have been on Sertraline for about 6 weeks now. Are you also getting a bit of paranoia? I'm constantly thinking I'm being gossiped about at work and that things are done on purpose to thwart my training! It's driving me mad not to mention making me feel hopelessness.
  • Posted

Hi,just to let you know that I have been taking sertraline for 3 weeks now and I too am experiencing severe jaw and headaches from teeth clenching. I always used to do it before but not as severe. But now it seems constant, especially at night. I find it hard to get to sleep, have started to wake up at 4am every morning (don't know why its always the same time). If I manage to go back to sleep after an hour or so, I wake up with clenched teeth and a headache. Not sure how long it will last but getting a bit fed up with it already. Also, missing having a nice glass of wine!!!!
  • Posted

hi there, i have just started taking sertraline for the first time, this is my 4th day, i am also clenching my teeth alot and get jaw ache and a severe headache, also feeling sick, is this normal? is there anything i can take for the sickness?

cheers.

• Posted

Hiya, I've been taking sertraline for 6months now. I was grinding and clenching my teeth before, but since its been so much worse. The dentist made me a mouth guard, which I have been using, and had a tooth rebuilt as I'd ground it down so much. I've put a hole in the mouth guard this week!!!! The dreams are waking me as much as the clenching, but I'm feeling brighter than I was 6 months ago. despite the waking in the night, but I am sleeping more soundly between the waking.

Rach

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.