Teeth clenching and olp flares

Posted , 3 users are following.

Does anyone else have a problem with teeth clenching that seems to flare their olp? Mine is on my gums and it seems like areas that get hit worse with clenching will turn red and swell. 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I am not sure I clench my teeth, actually I don't I do, but my gums are red and swollen just like yours...sorry can't help more
    • Posted

Thanks for responding anyway! I clench while I sleep and my mouthguard only helps some. This flare started up with getting cavities filled at the gumline, but I have had olp for 7-8 yrs.. I hope you can get some relief.. this can be so frustrating!
  • Posted

Frustrated and angry I am because I always took such good care of my teeth and mouth hygiene, never missed dental cleaning etc..so I have a hard time dealing with this.  What I find most depressing is the thought that it will not go away with time, that i am stuck with crappy gums, and that the medical field seems to know so little about it.  This autoimmune desorder did not just appeared recently, it is been around for a long time, so why don't they know more abt it, what do they learn in medical schools?

My primary doctor had to read the 3 page printout on OLP that i brought with me a few weeks ago, apparently he knew little or nothing of the disease,  i went to see him so that he could confirm my dentist's diagnosis - so much for that..well Kay you are in good company..  

• Posted

Glad to hear I am in good company smile I appreciate this forum where we can talk to people who have the same problems.  I don't know anyone personally that has this.

I have always tried to take good care if my dental hygiene also.When I first got olp, my dentist didn't know what it was and sent me to an oral surgeon, who right away diagnosed me and didn't really think I needed a biopsy. Found a new dentist that knew what it was and  had a couple other patients with it. Mine has not given me too much trouble till now, other than I have burning mouth syndrome that started shortly before I noticed the olp. I think most doctors are stumped when it comes to autoimmune issues. I have had other autoimmune issues and for the most part all they can offer is medicine to cover up the problem as long as you stay on the medicine. No healing. But I usually have periods of time when my symptoms are better than others. I am always on the lookout to try natural healing methods too. And I pray..lots. That keeps me going. 

I hope you find a knowledgable doctor! I have been told that a dermatologist can usually diagnose it pretty easily, as they see more of it. My family dr. doesn't seem to know much either. I may see a dermatologist when I have the money, as I am pretty sure I have other areas with lichen planus. But then other than steroids, which are a last resort for me I don't know how much help they will be.

• Posted

Hi Kay, my consultant says I do this, but I'm only just aware I do! I haven't noticed the correlation before, but my gums have been red and tender now for nearly 20 months so it wouldn't surprise me if that added to the irritation. I am due to see my dental practitioner in October so will ask him and report back.....
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply! I just seem to get random areas that are more red than others and thought that might be why. Now how to quit clenching.. Yes please let me know what your dentist thinks! Thanks!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.