Teeth clicking?!

Posted , 23 users are following.

Okay so I had this happen last month where my two upper front teeth were feeing like they were making this clicking sound. Of course freaked out thinking they were loose or something! Went to the dentist for a checkup and asked about them but she said everything looked good and X-rays weren't needed st this time...clicking stopped.   fastward to alittle over a month later. This past week Ive been having a pasty which is a sticky type that would get stuck on the back of those front teeth so of course I'd use my tongue to get rid of it. Then the clicking started again and of course freaked out. I went to the dentist the next day asking about a different issue but did bring up the clicking again. She looked at them closely and my gums and said everything looked okay...I then had an orthodontist concult (for possible braces again) and they did a full X-ray and he said my teeth looked good and the clicking was probably just normal shifting...but I had a cold smoothie alittle but ago and click!!! 

Does it sound like everything is okay or am I just being extremely paranoid about this. My OCD is flaring and I'm having like a panic attack over this. Any ideas or help?! Please?

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Edited

hi so I also have this, I've had braces not too long ago and never kept up with my retainer. I looked it up because I also noticed it again this morning. It told me that if you tend to clench your teeth at night it can cause pressure in your gums and your teeth will shift a tiny bit. it's more common in the morning, but it's called bruxism!! Try not to think about it too much, I know it's extremely hard but try to tell your OCD that it's normal for you to do that. especially if your ortho/dentist is saying all is well. hope it helps !

• Posted

Hi everyone,

It's hard to believe that there isn't someone out there that can help us all find some answers to what is happening with our teeth.

I am experiencing the same symptoms as most of you on this thread: popping and clicking teeth when eating, mostly in front teeth, can be experienced when pulling tongue over the teeth or when pulling lips over teeth and then pushing teeth forward with tongue or by pushing against the roof of the mouth close to the teeth. In addition my gums have a tingling or light burning sensation. This is has been going on for 4-5 months now and I'm gradually losing my head over it.

For me it started a few weeks after a bad night of clenching which left my jaw joint out of whack and my bite misaligned. This never healed properly and my bite remained misaligned. So when I ate, my canines were making contact before my molars. This bad contact may have shifted my teeth.

I've been to see many dentists and none of them can help me resolve it, diagnose it or identify the exact cause. Anyway on the advice of my dentist, I've had a new mouth guard made and have been wearing it for a couple of months but the clicking hasn't stopped. I can feel that the teeth that are clicking have more mobility than the teeth that aren't. And I'm guessing that the clicking is the tooth enamel rubbing against the adjacent tooth. I've by no means any expertise in teeth but another theory is that it could be the release of air between the tooth and the gum or the bone that holds it because I can hear the clicking when I push of the soft palate just behind the front teeth.

There must be someone out there in the dentistry world who has solved this mystery.

Like most of you here, this is the cause of some serious anxiety and the inability to find an answer despite consulting many professionals leads to a sense of hopelessness. It's hard to ignore as it's constantly there in my face reminding me that something's not right.

Has anyone found any answers?

I'm seeing more dentists in the coming weeks so I will post again if I learn anything.

• Edited

Hello

I have very similar to you.

Root filling in top front clicks loads, but of late my bottom teeth at front click and also have a burning sensation.

I have a very small mouth and they have moved over my forties for sure.

I had an x ray and little bone loss but dentist didn't seem to think it was an issue, seemed to think was not unusual at 48 to have some.

I am never not thinking about it through absolutely distraught my teeth are getting looser I also have a very small palette so I am very thin boned around the mouth.

X

• Posted

Hi! so glad to know other people have the same thing. did you go to more dentists, and did they say anything helpful? you have commented this almost a year ago now, so has the clicking stopped? did you find a solution? very paranoid now, im only 16! i have Bruxism which i just started wearing a mouth guard for, and my wisdom teeth are begining to come in, not sure if that would have anything to do with it.

• Posted

I myself have been experiencing this and also had braces in the past from 2017-2018.

Recently, In early November 2021 I have had my essix retainers replaced as my last pair broke in my mouth.

Then not until the end of November to early December I had a shooting pain in my Lateral Incisor tooth in my upper jaw.

I always wear my retainers at night as I have anxiety that my teeth will move. But since I have had new ones they have been annoying ever since. They fit properly and they are easy to get in and out with no pain.

Anyways, when this was happening, the tooth went numb. I called up the dentist to get an appointment and when I went She examined and took x-rays and She said they look healthy and it's probably just tooth movement so She advised me to wear my retainers full time for a few days. After wearing my retainers for a few days the numbness stopped.

But, when I put pressure on the tooth with my thumb it went numb for a bit but only a small part of the tooth felt normal.

Now in January 2022, my tooth clicks and pops when I take out my retainer out in the morning.

It only popps and clicks when I but pressure on it with my tongue or when I brush.

Experiencing this did not help my anxiety and I still get anxiety about them falling out but thats because I am getting paranoid as I tend to be a bit of a Hypochondriac by Googling for answers.

I don't know why and what causes it but it is annoying.

Then again, if it is natural as it has been said by your orthodontist, their is nothing for me or you to worry about.

Hope you have a nice day and I hope it stops for both of us.

• Posted

i have the exact problem. i will read into this and find my opinion that should be rather relevant. i hope the other comments help.

• Posted

Its possible for this to happen, Chris Eubank Sr had the same problem, until he received surgery.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.