teeth pain related to prednisone

Posted , 10 users are following.

I vaguely remember a discussion here about teeth pain related to prednisone.  I am down to 7 mg. (I have GCA), and lately in the past two weeks, my lower teeth have been really painful.  I wear a nightguard to bed at night, so I know this is not from grinding.  It feels kind of like nerve pain; if I apply a bit of pressure, for instance, to the teeth, they hurt.   I have had a complete dental work-up and cleaning within the past month,so I don't think there is any decay.   The pain is on both sides of the mouth, lower teeth only.

If anyone else has experienced this pain, what did you do to alleviate it?   

thanks,

Pam

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Pam, I have had problems with my teeth for about 6-8 weeks.  It is impossible to eat anything cold.

When I forgot and ate some ice cream - ouch! My teeth were in serious pain for quite a while.  The pain grows after cold food - then subsides.  Have considered going to the dentist, but won't even go for a cleaning right now - cannot even think how that mouth spray will hurt!!   Do you use Sensodyne tooth paste?  Would that help?

It didn't occur to me that it could be prednisone related. I thought it was PMR related and have worried about GCA, which has not been diagnosed.  

Will be waiting to hear if anyone else experiences tooth pain. Only warm liquids, from now on.  sad 

I've taken a lot of Prednisone in my life and have never had this experience. 

Thanks. 

MariGrace

• Posted

My dentist gave me a prescription for toothpaste to combat the sensitivity to cold. It's returning as I lower my pred. I have also had some pain in my teeth but I feel it's related to neck pain. I'm sorry but I don't know the answer.

• Posted

People often complain about sensitive teeth and blame pred - but it can also be due to PMR. During the 5 years I had PMR without pred I had sensitive teeth - had to be very careful with icecream! Sensodyne Proenamel worked a miracle after a few months. 
    • Posted

Eileen,

I don't have PMR; I have GCA, but perhaps that is a possibility.   I used to use the Sensodyne product for years, which really helped with sensitivity, BUT, after all that time, my dental hygeniest told me that there is an ingredient in the product which turns teeth yellowish, in some people.  I was one of those people, so I had to quit taking it.   

My teeth are not sensitive to hot or cold.   They hurt when I get up in the morning, but also at other times.   I am pretty sure it is the Prednisone causing this pain.

• Posted

They are to all intents and purposes the same disorder. There are various Sensodyne products - and since one is for white teeth...
  • Posted

I'm not sure Pam. Actually, I'm fairly new to this (apprx 3 mo) but I've had some toothpain, and found the prednisone helped with what I think is inflammation in my gums. Yeah, I do need some work done😕.

• Posted

Another vote for extreme sensitivity to cold foods and liquids. It is generalized throughout my mouth so not due to a problem with any one individual tooth.

It is a known side effect of the prednisone. 

• Posted

Hi Pam

I was diagnosed with Giant Cell Arteritis 18mths ago and have had numerous bouts of aching teeth. Also aching cheek bone similiar ro sinusitis. Had dental check again last week and no problems but have def heard this to be pred side effect.

I switched to sensitive toothpaste which has helped a bit . Just grin and cope as we do with all pred side effects.

• Posted

I suspect in at least some cases tooth sensitivity is caused by a) receding gums caused by pred and b) bone thinning showing up first in the jaw, also possibly caused by pred.  I had very sensitive teeth for a long time.  Since I started taking Vitamin K2 supplements my teeth are no longer super sensitive, better in fact than they've been for many years, pre-PMR/pred.  It was not an overnight improvement but happened gradually over months.  I take two doses, 100 mcg each, per day.  One dose proved to be not enough.   

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.