Tegretol

Posted , 5 users are following.

I was on oxcarbazepine an quit working but while I was on it I experienced muscle pain in my legs and in one of my arms if try tegretol I wondering if it's not going to work also an have the same side effects

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

I've not been on oxcarbazepine so I can't compare but I am on carbamazepine among others. Carbamazepine has not effected my muscles as I am aware of.   Perhaps you will get more input from other people.   If not ask your pharamist. Mine is very helpful.     I hope someone can help you more than I am able too

• Posted

Are you on carbamazepine an gabapentin an what dose are you taking
  • Posted

Have you seen a neurologist, or are you just muddling through with a GP?  You really need to insist on a referral to a neurologist.   They are the ones fully qualified to help you through the maze of medications and how to take them for what you are experiencing.  While one person is on 'abc' meds and dosage for their specific needs, you may need 'xyz'.  One of the best tips I can give is to set your alarm at night so your meds are evenly spaced throughout the 24 hours.  Take them with WARM WATER, as cold can set off the strikes.  It is a scary condition we have - I've had it for nearly 10 years, and although I have had my moments, I can still smile!  You will find some meds that will work for you, but you need to see a neurologist to help you.  Best of luck.

• Posted

I'm talking with a neurologist but I have tried topmax made me really sick and lryica made my left arm pulsate I could my my heart beating an i loss strength in that arm kind of scary I'm not sure if anyone alse has had that. I was on oxcarbazepine by itself and it worked amazing for 3 months but then the pain broke through in I was back in serious pain for 2 weeks I up my dose with no changes but then add gabapentin an it worked but I was having muscle pain in my legs and calf is that normal. Currently I'm on gabapentin again and it is helping but I have this pressure on the left side of my head and sometimes a stabbing nerve in my forehead. I'm tempted to try tegretol or go back with oxcarbazepine an take gabapentin with it

• Posted

Hello and welcome to the forum. Not sure if it relates but I am on Tegretol and Lyrica combination. When I got leg cramps I found that wearing bedsocks at night and making sure I kept my feet warm in the day stopped the cramps.
    • Posted

Did you get muscle pain in your legs at all cramps were one my issue too
  • Posted

My Boyfriend has TN and he does not have any insurance to see a doctor and he is getting them 3 to 5 times a day do you have any idea what we can do to get him help
    • Posted

Can I assume you are in America? I can’t say I understand the US or Uk systems in regard to a Public Hospital System  as I am in Australia which has Medicare, but the only way you can get help for Tn is by seeing a doctor and then a Neurologist. I have heard though that the earlier you get help the more likely it is that you can be helped.
    • Posted

We live in Florida and we don't have money to get help so I'm trying to help him as much as I can.

• Posted

Try to go to your gp an get medicine for him I got gabapentin at first
    • Posted

Is it possible for him to go to emergency room to get seen forTN? What are your thoughts on that? Because he really needs to figure something out Bc the pain is so bad. And we have no money to pay for all of this and they won't cover him though Medicaid

• Posted

It will cost way to much if you goto the emergency room they may give you medicine for it though I found mountain magic help me an ice I could put it directly on my face also klonopin has help me sometimes to sleep
    • Posted

If you can go to a regular doctor and tell him you need nerve pain medication
    • Posted

Or oxcarbazepine which is newer med

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.