Telangiectasia ?

Posted , 5 users are following.

hello,

Im not sure if this is allowed, but I already posted about this in dermatology. I thought that since they seem like telangiectasia, I should post in this group. I have these red spots on my face and neck, chest, arms and hands, even a few on my lips. I have also lost a large amount of weight in less than a year (i was 155 now Im 114 5"5) because I havent had an appetite, and i feel full quickly if i do eat, heartburn nausea, stomach pain. my new doctor referred me to a rheumatologist, and I was wondering if these red spots seem like the kind of thing you would see with an autoimmune disease. they do run in my family. my mom has raynauds and they havnt fully diagnosed her yet, crest, type 1 diabetes, reumatoid arthritis etc as well. I myself have psoriasis . Thanks in advance to anyone who has any helpful info or experiences. ive had a difficult time getting any doctor to listen to me until now so I want

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

there are about 6 around my nose and more on my neck.

• Posted

This kind of skin problem is common to a variety of auto immune disorders. i have suffered this in the past. It clears up and comes and goes over time. Have you seen a rheumatologist yet?

• Posted

hi Margaret,

No I havnt seen my rheumatologist yet, I just got a referral. But I didnt even think to tell my doctor about them, because Ive had some of them for years, I keep getting more and they dont go away. it has only been a cosmetic issue until I started reading more about autoimmune disease's. I thought I had a bowel issue but my doctor thinks its rheumatoid arthritis, so it was surprising to hear. could they still be telangiectasia if they dont go away? thanks for your help!

• Posted

Hi Cassie

I have had Scleroderma/ Systemic Sclerosis for 10 years now . I also have Sjogrens Syndrome, Inflamatory Arthritis, Pulmonary Fibrosis and Reynauds. I have telangiectasia and I`m told it is caused by the Scleroderma in my case. Face and hands mainly. There are other reasons for telangiectasia, including:

alcoholism: can affect the flow of blood in vessels and can cause liver disease

pregnancy: often applies large amounts of pressure on venules

aging: aging blood vessels can begin to weaken

rosacea: enlarges venules in the face, creating a flushed appearance in cheeks and nose

habitual corticosteroid use: thins and weakens the skin

scleroderma: hardens and contracts the skin

dermatomyositis: inflames skin and underlying muscle tissue

systemic lupus erythematosus: can increase skin sensitivity to sunlight and extreme temperatures.

If you can exclude the first 5 reasons, it seems an appointment to Rheumatologist would be next step I would take.

John

• Edited

hi Cassie, this is a long-shot but if you still check these boards, did you ever get an answer for this?

I'm having the same exact thing but mine are mostly on my hands and arms, I'm 31 and have been having symptoms of POTS for about 5 years now, unable to get a diagnosis because of where i live and financial reasons but my mom also has reynauds that isn't officially diagnosed. She has some of these on her body throughout and quite a lot on her face but not hands or palms like me so its been very worrying for me. I've been trying to find a doctor to see but haven't known who/ what type.

I'm getting another uptick of them lately and after truly months of searching i came across your post and yours is the only one that has truly looked like mine. I'm gonna post my pics just for reference and if it can help anyone else Again if you happen to see this and could spare a fee minutes to let me know if you ever found any answers, i would appreciate it so very much

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.