tell me about your experience of spinal anasthetic

Posted , 20 users are following.

I get my tkr at the end of this month,I have followed this forum for a while and I am sure I will for many months to come,Many of you have talked very candidly about your experiences which I am finding very helpful, however, I have yet to see any one mention the  insertion of the spinal anasthetic. A few years ago I had a lumbar puncture(unrelated to my knee)and it was AWFUL.So guess what, the thing that keeps me awake at night is worrying about the spinal.I know it is a means to an end and has to be done, please tell me (honestly) what it entails, ignorance is not bliss and I would much rather have the truth, Am I worrying about nothing? or is it truly awful?either way give me the facts!

3 likes, 67 replies

67 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Dotty, I had a spinal along with a nerve block and to be dead honest,

I felt absolutely nothing. The IV hurt more and that was nothing but a pinch. You have absolutely nothing to fear so don't give it another thought.

• Posted

more questions..... how long did it take to work and afterwards how long did it take to wear off? many thanks
    • Posted

My spinal didn't take. I still had feeling in my leg when in the operating room so they gave me a general as well. They put a cup over my face and the next thing I knew, I was in the recovery room with everything completed.

From there I was on a morphine pump so didn't really feel much untilI was released 3 days later. I can't say enough about the hospital staff  as

they made my stay there most comfortable. Hope this helps

• Posted

Yes you are dead right!  Getting the IV in my non existent veins was much more difficulat than the spinal!!!
    • Posted

Agree four attempts my dressing gown looked as if I had washed it in blood LOL x
  • Posted

To be honest. As always against spinal but was persuaded to have it. I did not feel a thing.  I would definitely opt for IT again.   I was sick the next day but I think it was the tramadol ad I cant take it.mm
  • Posted

I was petrified when my anethiest suggested this. I worried until I walked into the OR. Now I will never worry again. It went excellent. They covered the area where they were working and I saw nothing, I worried I might hear things. I did hear something far off as they also gave me a sedation and I was in and out. I heard someone speak saying that it was well worn, nothing bothered me. The nurse explained that I would feel pins and needles in my bum area and I did. After that, nothing. When surgery was over my frozen parts came back to life shortly after with no effects. I didn't get sick and throw up like I did from General anethesia. Go for it an be happy. But I understand your concern. 
  • Posted

And I forgot to wish you all the best. Hang in there and come into the forum and let us know how you're doing. 
  • Posted

Hi dotty from what I understand you are going to have an epidural, if so the needle in the spine is ok not really that painful at at all. I was so terrified by it all and ended up completely traumatised. I heard everything that was going on even with sedation. Worst feelings of my life so wished I had gone for full anaesthetic. It's not going to be easy my freind wish you well.
    • Posted

I didn't even get any sedation, so was absoutely wide awake the whole three and ahalf hours. . I would have preferred to be asleep to tell the truth . . . 
  • Posted

You really don't need to worry. I had to sit on the edge of the bed while they sprayed my back to freeze the area. I didn't feel the needle at all. I was sedated then and the next thing I knew it was all over and I was in the recovery room. Here I was able to chat to the nurses and feel no pain and not feel groggy at all. Back to the ward then and plenty of painkillers before the feeling comes back to my legs. I would recommend it that her than have a general. Good luck. Jen 
  • Posted

Hi Dotty I am 2 weeks 3 days. I had the spinal block I was told it is not same as epidural as they only put in as much that is needed for op. There is no topping up. I honestly can say apart from the cold spray I felt nothing, your bum and legs get pink needles then they go to sleep. I went for sedation. It turned out that during my op they needed to give me a general anthesetic because things took longer than expected. So I would 
    • Posted

Sorry not sure what I did? I would go for spinal block anytime because I know if they need to they can always upgrade to a G A. I also had no sickness after.  I think our fears of the unknown make it worse. Good luck keep us informed of your progress. X
    • Posted

Hi louisie.  how long did it take?  Mine took three and half hours. . seemed like a week!  I was so COLD I could have cried!!!
    • Posted

Hi I think about 3 hours instead of the 1:30. But it did not matter as I was not aware of anything. They had told me on the day of the op that I was going to have a partial as they did not think all was worn away. However they found the whole lot totally no good so had a total including knee cap, hubby said that 1 in 4 people have knee cap as well. There has to be a problem with my X-ray for the difference in ops, you do not go from a partial to the whole lot being changed!, will ask questions on Thursday, I only saw a junior doctor after op never saw my consultant after he saw me in recovery. I was in 5 days so did think I would have seen him. X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.