Tell me about your water consumption and how it has affected your health.....

Posted , 4 users are following.

Basically, I've seen a lot of posts where people talk about IBS or stomach/gut/health problems but never mention their water/hydrational fluid intake per day. Delving further into nutritionists' guidance, they'll commonly say you should drink 2-3L of water/hydrational fluid per day, but I'm interested to see what other people on here drink and whether they find increasing or decreasing this amount makes a difference to their health/bowel movements etc. (Note, when I say hyrdrational fluids, I mean stuff that isn't water, but isn't coke or coffee. Examples of this would be fruit juice, herbal teas, squash etc.)

As a starting point, about a year ago I was drinking about 1.2L of hydrational fluid a day, but about 2-3 months ago, I was advised to start taking supplements for CFS by a nutritionist, so I thought it'd be a good idea to up my fluid intake as well. Since then I've been drinking about 1.9L per day and have found that I generally feel a bit more alert/have less brain fog.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hello,

Yes several years ago I started to drink a minimum of 3 litres of water per day, I cannot get enough of it, also I get my water from 100 ft down in my well, its tastes so good. I am also an avid strong tea (yorkshire) drinker maybe 6 cups per day, no herbal teas, dont like them, no alcohol, maybe one fizzy drink per week if I feel like it. I am very regular in my movements. What drink I find that upsets my stomach was 'Yakult' once tried never again. I would rather let my stomach sort it self out, I eat fresh fruit rather than fruit juice with all the additives. At 66 I feel ok, as yet thankful, no medicines or tablets, hate them. All blood tests come back normal. Water is definitely good for the body as much as you can drink.

• Posted

I don't drink a lot of water and it doesn't affect my IBS negatively at all. My IBS is in remission. If I do get IBS constipation, lots of fresh fruit or fruit juice does the trick. For me, drinking litres of water daily is just one of the latest diet fads such as avoiding all sugar. Tomorrow, some other food craze will take its place. Everything should be done in moderation.

• Posted

Are you basically looking for drinks that help IBS?

Water is good for all aspects of your health, and herbal tea, squash, fruit juice egg all count towards your total fluid intake.

In terms of IBS, a lot of people find peppermint tea very helpful

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.