telling when colitis has finally cleared up

Posted , 3 users are following.

With the exception of having regular well formed stools as i have now for the past 3 days, no signs of diarrhea and a good appetite, are there any other indications that my colitis has cleared up and it is safe to stop my medication. I am trying to decide if i need a repeat prescription after I have completed by current course (3 weeks out of 4) . My doctor has given me access to up to two repeat prescriptions before i am requited to make another visit.

(apologies if the answer is - no. Any ideas welcome)

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

what medications are you currently taking?

• Posted

Salofalk Enema 2g each night and Octasa 400mg . Only 8 days of each to go....

• Posted

You have posted this under Ulcerative Colitis and UC never goes away. It’s a chronic i.e. lifelong, incurable, inflammatory condition where your immune system wants to keep attacking your lower GI tract. Do not be tempted to stop meds as soon as the symptoms subside. The meds are bringing or have brought the inflammation under control and now it must be kept under control. The usual way is to take a daily dose of mesalazine, a 5-aminosalicylic acid (5-ASA) such as Pentasa or Octasa.

On the other hand, if you have colitis only (maybe due to a bacterial infection) you may be over it and no further meds required. What does your doctor say?

• Posted

I agree ive had uc for about 2 years now and at times i feel like im cured and i could stop the medications but then it comes back but ive noticed it only comes back if i eat something im not supposed to for example something with a lot of spice. You shouldn't stop your medications instead ask for a lower dose, i do believe that this condition can be cured and one day you can come off the medications but only 3 weeks in is too soon to come off.

• Posted

UC is incurable but with the right meds, UC can go into remission and remain that way for several years. For some the only cure is to have the colon removed.

I was in a roller coaster of flares for two and half years and hospitalised twice before the right balance of meds was found to get the symptoms under control. I have been in remission for eighteen months and take 800grams of Octasa per day to (hopefully) keep it that way.

Spice food won't make UC relapse. That's more likely to be IBS which often goes hand in hand with IBD. A relapse is caused by the immune system attacking the lower GI tract. A bacterial infection could trigger that, the immune system, instead of attacking the infection, attacks the body.

• Posted

Hi cjb106. - To answer you specifically - nothing. The hospital consultant recommended the medication in his report and my doctor prescribed it for 28 days with the possibility of up to two re-prescriptions without the need of a visit to my doctor.

On his report he describes it as moderate colitis.

• Posted

Hi waqar94523 - to be sure i would not come of my meds after 3 weeks. I'm intent on carrying it through to the full 4 week course. In the week i'll raise an e-consult (online question) for my doctor .

• Posted

I've noticed there are communities for "Colitis - Pseudomembranous"

and "Colitis - Ulcerative" but not plain old colitis.

• Posted

I think we may have discussed this before in another thread. Colitis is inflammation of the colon that can be a result of a bacterial infection or an immune system failure. It really is vital you check with you consultant which you have. IBD is a chronic disease which can make you incredibly sick if not controlled. Have your bloods been checked for inflammatory markers CR-P and ESR?

• Posted

Yes, i think you mentioned some of the basics and i must admit that i have been getting confused over IBD, UC and what my consultant described as moderate colitis. I am waiting to hear from my doctor who unfortunately sits behind half closed doors. Thanks once again for refreshing my memory and for the additional insight. I count myself very lucky at the moment.

• Posted

If you have concerns and the wait list to see a GI consultant is long, the hospital may have a IBD nurse. Mine has and her help and advice was invaluable during the two and half years it took to get my symptoms under control. An IBD nurse will know how to interpret the results of colonoscopies and blood tests, can make decisions about whether a quicker follow up consultation is necessary or simply answer questions about symptoms and meds. Even if you think you may have had bacterial colitis and not IBD, he or she will be able to give you some advice and can order blood and faecal tests to see if the inflammation has abated.

• Posted

Despite what many think of the nhs and doctors i have reason to change my views when i spent 4 days in A&E due to gastroenteritis. Now i have a more informed view based on 1st hand experience. My doctors can be infuriating at times but i remember that like many practices they are firefighting and trying to keep their head above water.

My visit for a colonoscopy that turned into a sigmoidoscopy managed to answer the question of why my stools were turning from solid to liquid to solid on a weekly basis. He introduced my to the word colitis. But never mentioned Ulcerative Colitis. That came about through too much reading. Although they quashed the faulty diagnosis that it was diverticulitis, they still gave me a fact sheet on it and high fibre diets. Go figure.

In another thread someone suggested i may be worrying over nothing. I'm beginning to realise that may be partially true at least.

With all this in mind i managed to reach out to them using their own tools and much to my surprise managed to get a telephone appointment this morning. What was very strange was that they 'swung into action'. They do not have a very good diary and i have to initiate many things. They introduced me to the idea of Irritable bowel disease (IBD - no community for this), getting me off the enema but maybe the other tablets in a reduced dose. So when they finish next Tuesday i do indeed go for blood tests and hopefully in no more enema, just tablets. But for all that i will have to wait two weeks.

BTW: Thank you for sticking by with so much good info.

• Posted

Let's hope you have an accurate diagnosis soon.

Just to be clear.

IBS is Irritable Bowel Syndrome and can be controlled with diet.

IBD is Inflammatory Bowel Disease needs medical and sometimes surgical intervention and can be life threatening.

Ulcerative Colitis and its sister condition Crohn's Disease are IBD. Look up the Crohn's and Colitis charity for more information.

• Posted

I think i mentioned elsewhere in this thread that it is moderate colitis (and not IBD). Thanks for the advice. Over and out.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.