Telmisartan - dry mouth, white coating on tongue and bad breath

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi all  fellow high blood pressure sufferers, I was on Amlodipine for over 10 years and my hair started thinning. I read that hair thinning can be a side effect of Amlodipine as well as many other medications. I was switched to Telmisartan by a locum GP but only after I stopped taking Amlodipine suddenly and my blood pressure went very high. The excessive hair loss stopped but having been on Telmisartan for 6 months I have a dry mouth and bad breath which I have never had before. 

I would be interested in any other side effects you have on Telmisartan.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hello paula9033...First off, Amlodipine does not have to be weaned. Sudden stoppage does not cause a problem. I know this for a fact, because a good friend of mine is a Pharmacist., AND I got a 2nd opinion which was the same.

You didn't say how long you were off the Amlodipine before starting the Telmisartan. If there was a few weeks, or even months, then it would make sense that your bp would skyrocket. Why?...Because the medication your body needs to keep the bp in check is no longer being taken. That would have happened with any bp medication. Again, because the 'control' has been taken away. 

As for the dry mouth, white coating on the tongue & bad breath, that could be caused by another factor. Yes, have it checked by your doctor. 

There are other ARB's out there, i.e. Irbesartan, Valsartan. While they are in the ARB category & have the same action, there can be some difference in the ingredients. We are all different, & our bodies can react differently.

If you go to an ACE...i.e. anything ending in "il"...you run the risk of developing a dry hacking cough, which is very common with ACE's. You may not develop the cough. Amlodipine is in the class of Calcium Channel Blockers. You CAN take Amlodipine along with ARB or ACE., but here in Canada, ARB's & ACE's are never prescribed at the same time. One or the other is taken..not both. 

Coversyl Plus HD is a good medicine although it is an ACE...but it doesn't seem to have the problems that normal Perindopril has.

The best thing is what you're doing...consulting with your doctor. Let us know how you get on.

• Posted

Hi Mike 

I agree the coating on tongue and dry mouth could be caused by something else. I tend to look up side effects of medications to begin with. I was off all BP medications for 4 days and my BP skyrocketed but it could have been from anxiety about my blood pressure. It is interesting about not having to taper off Amlodipine. 

I knew Amlodipine is a calcium channel blocker and Telmisartan is an ARB and that they are not used together but often teamed up with a diuretic. 

• Posted

paula90338...I think you've misunderstood something I said. Amlodipine CAN be taken along with an ARB or ACE., but ARB's & ACE's are not taken together (here in Canada). You can ever take a Calcium Channel Blocker (i.e. Amlodipine) with Telmesartan that has a diuretic it. Those will not clash. 

The 4 days you were off the Amlodipine I bet was the reason for the skyrocketing bp. 4 days with out control caused rebound elevation. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.