Telogen effluvium

Posted , 2 users are following.

Im male 27. Suffered from diffuse hair loss all over in October 2014. The hair went through a perieod where it would break constantly in about january. We are now into April and although the hair has grown back it has grown back extremely thin. The hairs stick up all over my head like i have had an electric shock. The hairs also grow straight up. This is all over the head including the back of the hair. I am starting to shed this hairs also now. I am now entirely sure what is going on. Whether these are intermediate hairs(?) or terminal hair loss. I have not receeded but my scalp does occasionally itch. If i itch it i see these thin hairs fall out. I have seen suggestion that sometimes with this condition the hair takes a while to thicken up. However, my main question to forum members is how to tell whether the hair is going through a growth cycle and this is a stage or whether i have MPB. I am encouraged by the fact the hair loss is diffuse but the hairs that have come back are so thin and sickly looking. I am just not sure if they can ever recover from this. Many thanks i would really appreciate any reply as i have researched for so long and have absolutely no answer and its creating more anxiety which i think really doesnt help at this stage.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hello Will,

Don't know if it will help but after finding a bald patch after taking Alendronic Acid a friend has arranged for me to be sent Reserveage Organics Keratin Booster.  This is quite expensive and I am not sure whether or not it works.  Have you seen your GP?  Your condition does not sound typical for MPB.

Yours sincerely,

Brenda

• Posted

Brenda, Many thanks for the suggestion. Its really puzzling i had blood work done and it came back normal. I split with my long term girlfriend of six years around this time, also lost a dog to cancer and then lost my job. I am pretty sure its stress related but i feel stuck in a cycle of stress and think the hair is taking a battering. Also lost two stone in weight over the last two months. Just wish i could get out of this mess tbh. What are your hair problems??
    • Posted

I was diagnosed with osteoporosis of the spine (much to my surprise) and prescribed alendronic acid to be take once a week along with vitamin D twice daily.  After taking four of the alendronic acid tabs I noticed a bald patch on the side of my head.  On checking for side effects for alendronic acid found that hair loss was one of them.  I stopped taking it immediately.  The GP was not particularly helpful except for a vague comment about all medications having some side effects.  I am just hoping and praying that the hair grows in again.  The Keratin Booster is the idea of a friend and has yet to arrive.  Your problem does sound stress related and I am very sorry to hear that.  There is no doubt that mental and emotional stress has a physical effect on the body in some way.  Once you are on an even keel the problem may sort itself out.  I have two sons who both have MPB and they do not much mind about it (except to blame me!)  They have learned that it is passed down the female line.
    • Posted

Hi Brenda, that sounds terrible but i have no idea what it is. I have been to the doctors about this and they are so unhelpful i dont know how they get these positions! haha your sons shouldn't blame you though it is passed down the female line they are right. I wouldn't mind having MPB its this stage it is at i hate cause i can't do anything about it. I have shaved it all off a few times and it grows back looking like a wire brush! I have heard of your condition a few times about this bald spot. The good news for you is it is always temporary. I have heard a few people have success with Minoxidil. However, please do not ingest it because this chemical gave my dog Lymphoma cancer. I am also against that none of these medications carry a health risk.I do not blame you stopping these pills i would have done exactly the same thing in your position. I would try Minoxidil to encourage follicle growth or perhaps try a hair supplement such as Biotin. Though i do not blame you with having a cautious approach to medication. I wont take anything for this condition. I take cod liver oil only because i know that cannot harm me. Too many bad experiences with medication i think they cause more harm than good ultimately. I wish you all the best luck with your bald spot and i am so very sorry to hear this has happened to you. Hair loss is an absolute evil.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.