Temporal artery biopsy tomorrow!

Posted , 12 users are following.

I had a call from St George's Hospital this afternoon, telling me I was booked in for 8am tomorrow morning! Talk about short notice, - maybe they had a cancellation.

So, early start tomorrow, leaving home at 6.15am to be sure we get there on time and don't t stuck traffic like the last time. And time for breakfast in the cafeteria.

Feeling a bit nervous and sick at the thought of it, but at least I won't have days to think about it.

0 likes, 53 replies

53 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I'm home! It went well. Got there for 8am appointment, but so did everyone else in the waiting room. Still, I chatted to some interesting people while waiting. Eventually got in at 1pm and back out at 2.30.

I had a lovely surgeon who explained what he was doing as he went along.

In his pre-op talk with me, he felt my temples and said that the large artery was pumping very hard, although by then I wasn't particularly worried or nervous.

As he was doing the biopsy, he said that he thought there might be a positive result, as the artery he was cutting looked shrivelled and unhealthy. This is the smaller, spur artery off the main one, next to the ear.

It will take at least a couple of weeks for the results, but I will be relieved if they can positively identify something.

• Posted

Hi Susanne, I'm glad that's over for you, and I would think you're now having a well-earned and well-needed rest.  Interesting that he could feel the artery pumping very hard, as they are usually concerned when they can't feel a pulse at all.  Definitely sounds as though there is something going on though from his description of the artery being biopsied.  Let's hope the appointment for the PET scan comes through soon now and that the outcome leads to you feeling much better and positive about the future.  Everything crossed for you.xx
    • Posted

Well done Susanne, pleased all went well now as Mrs O has said you can sit back and relax abit. Regards, tina
  • Posted

Thank you Mrs O, Tina and Mags..

Feeling fine, only 3 more days until I can wash my hair! :-)

• Posted

Just to disgust you - I wash my hair no more than every 2 weeks unless there is a VERY  good reason. Sometimes I go 3 weeks...
    • Posted

I usually wash it every day, especially with the horrible head sweats I get.

As I'm going to my artclass this morning, I'll try to run a wet comb through the hair away from the incision. Since my hair has turned wavy, it has at least "styled" itself a little better.

• Posted

Hmmm, I've read about hair benefiting from less washing, but that's extreme, Eileen! :-)
    • Posted

My hairdresser, who teaches at two colleges, (been with him for 30 years) would go daft if if I washed my hair more than once a week. You strip all the natural oils and defensive stuff from your scalp.

I have suffered from 'head sweats' since I was 32 (early menopause and hysterectomy).

Dry Shampoo, Dove, Tresseme and a whole host of others, just use your search engine and take your pick.

Do not use it every day.

Answer, if you

• Posted

thats news , i wash my hair at least 3 times a week, cannot imange only washing it once.
    • Posted

I'm with Eileen. Wash it when it needs it. Washing it more than once a week is just ridding your scalp of all it's natural oils. Since I cut my hippy long hair when I was 53, it gets of bit greasier quicker but never bad enough to wash it out for the sheer hell of it. Once a week is my norm.
    • Posted

I live in Florida and no way can go a week without washing

hair.....we sweat in this state!!   I'm 79 and have very thick

healthy hair so don't think that every other day has hurt

anything....I'm with you on this one....

• Posted

We sweat in the summer here too - but you don't necessarily need soap products which is what do the damage. Same with skin - the only time I have trouble with dry or flaky skin is if I use a soap product - by that I mean one which foams...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.