Temporary back relief?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Okay a bit about me. I am currently in the process of losing weight so I can have back surgery. I am typically okay for 15-30 minutes on my feet and after that I will be on the ground because my leg goes numb and stops working. The pain is excruciating and I usually get about 1-4 hours of sleep at most a day. I also need neck surgery. The doctors say I have severe arthritis on the left side of my spine.

Okay my question. What can I do to help with the pain. I am looking for something that can help me for at least a couple months. I was using medical marijuana and that was helping. But my job is going through a transition and I have to pass a drug test. So I stopped using it. I just need to pass that test then I can us medical marijuana to aid me till I can get the weight off.

Already using opioids, over the counter stuff, ice, and heat. Any advice would be great.

The pain has been so bad, not sure I can continue like this.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

hi sorry to hear about your pain i currently take 10mg 2 x a day of tablet form methadone for my pain it has helped me have a normal life well my new normal i have fibrp and bad arthritis I live in pain daily Its deftaintly changed my life if i need to or hace a huge flare up then i add in a few oxycontin my GP & Rhmy know and are happy thats its working for me maybe you could try them until your surgery

wishing you all the best ❤

• Posted

Thank you, I will ask my doctor about Methadone. It is always a fight to get any type of pain medication. Will the doctor be more receptive to me asking for Methadone than they are about an Opioid?

I also forgot to mention that I have had the full series of epidural injections and those did not help. I also did physical therapy and I am unable to do that now.

• Posted

there are two drugs known to help with nerve pain like you're experiencing . One is called Lyrica or also known as pregabalin the other one is called Neurontin or also known as Gabapentin . both of both of those are known for helping with nerve pain but a lot of patients have side effects that they don't like with it . Me personally I've never had a problem one but then it's never help my pain either.

I'm guessing you probably tried Physical Therapy at this point since you're already trying to get surgery done. I just want to caution you that surgery is rarely the complete answer to the problem. there are thousands upon thousands of people who have back surgery and don't get the results that they were expecting. In fact, in some cases they end up in worst condition and in worst pain then they were to start with. I hope that your surgery goes well and I hope you can continue to lose weight. How much did you need to lose? and how much more do you have to lose before having surgery?

• Posted

It was 50-60 lbs when they first told me to lose weight. I have another 15-35 lbs to lose. I have hit a plateau, but I'm sure it will break eventually. I was on Gabapentin no side effects, no real effect really. The doctor stopped filling my prescription for it a few months back. It is always a fight to get my medication. Not because the insurance but because the doctors don't want to write prescriptions.

I know surgery is not always an answer, but at this point I would take them any relief. I would honestly rather be paralyzed than live with this pain. I'm essentially paralyzed already. I can go to the bathroom and the car, but any farther than that is a risk. On top of that I am sleeping sitting in a chair for 1-3 hours a day, because laying down is too painful.

I will also need neck surgery, but that is not as painful yet. But my arm is already partially paralyzed. I am focused on the worst one at the moment though.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.