Temporary crown

Posted , 2 users are following.

6 months ago I had root canal treatment on a molar. My dentist said it would need a crown to protect it and did the prep work yesterday afternoon. This morning the temporary crown came off. She had said if it fell off it wouldn't really matter as I will have the permanent one fitted in a week. I've put the temporary back and it seems to be staying put. Has anyone else had experience of this and will it be ok to leave it? I can't get to my dentist until next week as she is away

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Yes, I've had this happen. You should be OK if it's not more than a week or so, as long as you're not in severe pain. I'd try and avoid chewing on that side of your mouth if possible though.

Not sure about the idea of replacing the crown yourself. I don't understand how you did that. Does it have some kind of mechanism to fix it? I'd be a bit worried about doing that in case it got dislodged while I was sleeping and I inhaled it.

• Posted

Thanks for your reply. I'm not in any pain because the nerve was removed during the root canal. She did the drilling to shape the tooth yesterday without numbing and so I felt nothing. I just placed the temporary crown back on the tooth and it fits so snugly it stays on as long as I don't chew on it. I'll probably take it off before bed in case it's dislodged in my sleep!

• Posted

Good thinking! But you need to make sure that you don't put the crown in again before cleaning your teeth, as you could trap food particles under it, which could damage the exposed pulp.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.