Temporary memory loss and/or seizures/fainting?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi fellow sufferers. I'm on week 10 and had a very strange and scary episode the other day which landed me in the hospital. I was just lounging around watching tv and all of a sudden I started having very strange memory lapses...like big hole in my memory. I couldn't remember how old my daughter was or where I am going on vacation next month. My brain just didn't seem right. I then started googling things and kept forgetting the words I was googling . So I took a nap. When I woke up, same thing but my brain felt stranger. I told my boyfriend that I thought we should go to Urgent Care and then thought maybe I needed to eat. So he got me a sandwich... then I told him I felt like I was going to throw up. then that was all I remembered. He said my eyes rolled back in my head and my face tightened and he couldn't revive me. I was out for about a minute before I came to. We called 911 and I went to the hospital. they asked me what month it was and I didn't know. they did a CAT scan, and MRI, and EEG and and echocardiogram and all came back negative which is great so I know there's nothing serious. But I'm totally freaked out and wonder if anyone else has experienced anything similar or might now what it was. Doctor's don't seem to and are saying it may have been a vasovagal syncope. But I don't think that explains the memory issues...TIA.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Kfly,

So sorry to hear that you have been going through mono and about this frightening episode that you experienced, it sounds awful and very scary indeed, I just hope that things are feeling a bit more settled and stable now and just wanted you to know that I had read your message and was thinking about you.

I do empathise with mono having went through a tough time with it myself many years ago. It really is an awful virus and just want to reassure you regarding this that even though these first few months can be so intense and horrible, you will get better and your body does heal and recover from this thing with time. I know that doesn't always help when in the midst of it and suffering each day, I remember the terrible fatigue and low grade fever which was so debilitating and just generally not feeling at all well, and getting through a single day was a real struggle and an achievement, that is for sure. I am just grateful to God that with time I was able to recover, I know it was down to God as I was feeling so unwell and helpless that I couldn't have done it myself.

So really just want to encourage you to hang in there, you did the right thing going and getting some tests and things. Going through this virus and that kind of frightening episode you went through can really knock your confidence, but things will get better and you will rebuild again - sometimes it's just an extended time factor for recovery with this thing unfortunately, but truly you will get there. God is the great healer and hoping and praying for your recovery and a breakthrough for you and for the intensity of this thing to lessen until you reach full recovery.

I have read a lot of people on the site talk about brain fog and finding it hard to think straight or concentrate, these things certainly can occur with mono, so it may well be connected to or a part of the mono what happened, just hoping things are much more settled now.

Things that really helped me during recovery from mono was taking vitamins and herbs - a good strong multi-vitamin per day (I take Immunace Extra here in the UK), a B complex vitamin per day (excellent for nervous system, brain fog and energy levels), higher doses of Vitamin C (1000mg-3000mg per day) and immune and nervous system boosting herbs like echinacea and siberian ginseng. Other herbs / supplements which can soothe and help nervous system include cayenne pepper, chamomile and gingko biloba. But of course, especially after an episode like you had recently. please be very careful before starting or taking supplements, herbs or vitamins - research properly and check for any interactions with any other conditions or medication before starting anything - always wise to seek the advice of a doctor and / or herbalist before starting anything - I'm no expert in this field just going on my own research online and things that have helped me greatly.

It's a very good and supportive forum here, lots of great, kind and encouraging people who know what it's like to go through mono and support and encourage each other - message any time Kfly and remember - you WILL get through this and back to full health again, and don't panic if it's not overnight that can be normal with this horrible thing, but truly you will get over it and well again with time - Jesus heals! Thinking about you and hoping you are feeling not too bad today, message any time.

Craig

• Posted

Hi Craig,

Thank you so much for your kind, encouraging and supportive words. I woke up to your message and it was a really nice way to start my day. I am definitely going to stop the herbs at this point and focus on the nutrition. Who knew what an insidious infection this is - my guess is also as an "older" person (49) it hits you harder. This is a wonderfully supportive group and I'm so glad I found it. Thank you for taking the time to respond so thoughtfully. And while our "faiths" may be different, we indeed do have the same faith. And for that I am appreciative as well. Wishing you a very happy Easter weekend.

K

• Posted

Hi K,

Thanks for your kind and supportive words also, oh absolutely I do empathise with how horrible this virus is and I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. It really did change my perspective on life and still grateful to God for my recovery today, means everything.

And remember you will get there too, hang in there this thing does lose its sting but it can take time, so just remember to keep looking after yourself and resting up and finding the right balance between activity and rest - listen to your body and when you need to slow down, do it and put your health first, even if it means stepping back from things a little.

Wishing you a very Happy Easter too and do keep in touch and let us know how you are doing, this is a great forum as you say and a real sense of hope through it - there is hope today hang in there! Thinking of you!

Craig

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.