Temporary Tinnitus

Posted , 93 users are following.

I have had tinnitus for 6 weeks 5 days now, and three doctors have told me it will go one hundred percent. Has anyone else been told this before? They say minimum 6-8 weeks, no longer than a year. I'm really struggling to live with this, and I will never accept it if it is permanent. If it is still here in 5 years time I won't be here anymore. It is noise induced by the way: I was listening to music pretty loud with new headphones, FLAC format which means lossless audio, for just under an hour, when the fire alarm went off. I am in uni halls so I have a fire alarm in my room. I could hear the fire alarm whilst the music was still playing directly in my ears. I took off the headphones and went outside. When I came back in I didn't notice the ringing in my ears if it was there. So, I continued to listen to music through my headphones for 20 minutes or so. When I finally decided to go to bed I took the headphones off and straight away noticed the ringing. Having heard it before for a few seconds/minutes after music, I thought nothing of it and assumed it would go in the morning. I woke up, and it was there. I was incredibly anxious and all the rest of it, here I am today, having been told it will go one hundred percent and will last no longer than a year. I should be positive right? but I am not - I can't stop worrying that this is permeant and will be one of those people that has to learn to accept it will be there for life and get on with it. Well, I am not prepared to live with this for the rest of my life, and yes, people do live with MUCH worse i.e. no legs, arms, sight, hearing, etc, but I simply will not live with this if it is permanent. Therefore, I have decided to give it 5 years. The doctors say no longer than 1 year so I shouldn't even consider that but I am just that anxious and it is bothering me that much that this is what is has come to. I know about white noise and trying to keep your mind off of it by keeping busy, I have to sleep with a fan on and the TV and the sound of rain and leave the window open so I can hear the cars on the motorway faintly and not sleeping with my ears against the pillow and trying to get to sleep itself, I'm tired of it. Anyone else been told it will go or anything similar? I'm due at the ENT in 2 months. I'm 19.

6 likes, 154 replies

154 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

It seems I can't spell oh well...
  • Posted

Hi John,

I hope your doctors know more than mine. I have been ringing since March 08, 2014. Believe it or not, mine

only happened a couple times at night before I went to sleep but was gone in the morning. Then one day I

was very upset and my head filled up with pressure then the ringing began. I have only had 15 seconds of

peace since. One night I was trying to sleep and the ringing went to unusual places then stopped for about 15 seconds. And just as I was about to get happy...it came back. That was in the first week. I am miserable and take one day at a time. My ENT say I have great hearing. Nothing wrong with ears. I am trying acupuncture

which my doctor recommended. Apparently it helps 40-50 % of tinnitus patients according to NIH. I have only had one treatment with no change. They also said mine could go away but the tone was as in anything is

possible. I am losing hope. Will try to learn to live with it. Let me know if you find anything that helps.

• Posted

Kdfdiva

Keep your spirits up! I know how devastating this condition is. Mine has lowered in volume with acupuncture. I have had it since flight I took with ear infection about 3 months ago. At least it's not as loud as it was in the beginning. I think our brain is quite a wonderful organ and it learns how to live with it. Give it time stay calm. The one thing that helped me is after being away from religion for most of my life I finally went back after many years. It helped me enjoy life and focus on the good things we have. You need to control your anxiety first and things will get better you will see.

• Posted

It will go away on it's own. It may take up to and over a year, but it will go away on it's own. Trust me

• Posted

Hi Hugo,

Thank you for your kind words. I am glad yours responded to the acupuncture. I am hopeful that mine will as well. I would however, give anything for a good night sleep. My doctor prescribed Hydroxyzine for anxiety but it made me sleepy for three days so I dont take it. I may have to give in this weekend just for a good night of sleep. I have started working out and doing yoga and I find it helps me relax.

Here's something funny that I tried. I tried visualizing a volume button and thinking of my ringing and turning the volume button down..... it didn't work :-)

I am glad you found your way back to religion. This has also brought me closer to my religion. It helps.

• Posted

Hi,

I've had noise-induced tinnitus for 30 hours now, which isn't much compared to other people in thread, but it's the longest I've ever had it for. It's only in my right ear. I'm 31 and have been exposed to loud music for over half my life. I play drums, I play and go to concerts constantly, and I guess I knew it was only a matter of time before this happened. In the last few years I've tried to use hearing protection, but the fact of the matter is that I'm routinely exposed to sounds over 120db for long periods of time.. 

In the past, exposure to loud noise would leave me with tinnitus that would usually persist until about noon the following day and then go away, and my hearing has always been suprisingly good, and I believe it still is.

I have pretty good pitch and yesterday the ringing was hovering around an 'A' in the sixth octave (1760hz) , and has since gone up to about a double high C (2093hz). It's pretty quiet, but I can easily focus on the sound and make it present in just about any situation I'm in provided background noise is under about 60db. It woke me up a few times last night which was really irritating. I wonder if this gradual rise in tone is my brain trying to tune it out somehow?

In addition to being exposed to some really, really loud noise over the last four days, I've also been sick with a cold (still am) and my nose is blocked up and my head is stuffy, and I'm also pretty stressed out over a couple of unrelated things, which is another rare element in my life. I'm wondering if this is sort of a perfect storm for tinnitus to occur. I've read that stress can be a factor in persistent tinnitus.

I'm really encouraged to hear that some of the doctors John45611 spoke to said that it won't last for more than a year. I haven't seen an ENT yet; I'm going to give this a week or so and wait until my cold clears up before seeking professional advice, and I'll make sure to share any information that comes my way.

• Posted

Hi John and everyone,

I had my tinnitus since I went to a disco in September 2013. The venue was smaller than usual and the music was louder than usual. I can hear a noise in my head, but also local noises inside my ears. Over time, the ear noise in my ears has changed, shifting toward higher pitches, especially in my left ears. A few months ago, two doctors told me that it will go away but at the moment I feel hopeless about my situation. If only I had known I would have gone out of that disvo immediately. I hope that there eventually will be a solution for noise induced tinnitus because it's a problem that has serious consequences: as soon as I dis overed it I started to not being able to sleep and needed medicines just to sleep. Now I rationalised it and the situation got better but I still hope that it will go away at so e point.

• Posted

I no exactly how you feel I woke up march 1st of this year and I heard this weird ringing and Thot oh it's gonna go away and so I went back to sleep and woke up an I still had it and I was freaking out completely upset and every emotion.. I Thot to myself maybe it was from cipro (antibotic) but I stopped that February 23rd and I didn't think so so now I'm so confused if it's ever goig to go away. At first it was soooooo loud like ringing and musicical now it's low but I'm still upset .. I really hope it goes awaysad(( today's two months with it to and I'm sad as hell.. It helps me talking with ppl that have it to though.. 
    • Posted

My doctor prescribed a low dose of valium that I've resigned myself to take at night to relax
    • Posted

I would give anything to have a low pitch, i can deal with that for the rest of my life but this high pitch i have sux, lol, dont feel bad, if its gotten that low it probably means its gon a get even better or gone for good, but if it dont please just accept it, it helps alot to accept that its gonna be there for ever, but maybe in the near future they will find ways to cure it, accept it and dont lose hope, God bless you and stay calmed, lear somekind of meditation, i heard Tonglen is a method of meditation that helps alot, i havent tried it yet but im going too, just be kool and strong, nothing its gonna happen ti you, chill and enjoy life, if you pay attention to this crappy noise its not gona let you live in peace so just accept it,, who knows it might even disappear, God bless you all!
    • Posted

Hi There

I know this post was three years ago so not sure if this will reach you. I have had a similar incident and would be grateful to know how you are progressing now. Any feedback about how the last 3 years have been will give me some idea of what to expect as my circumstances are almost identical. I did suffer some hear loss at 4000hz .

Thanks and best wishes.

Anton

• Posted

Surprise !!!!!!! I'm still here. Just had a bit of aggro with signig in. it's been so long, My "not forgotten" password was not accepted ,so had to go thruogh the farce of doing another one.

Things much the same except ,earlier this year ,I had a triple dose of infections ,one afer the other for two months, the last one left me with just 90% deafmess in one ear .I saw my (NEW) Tinnitus person ,who had a look,and said she could see no problem in the ear, Fortunately ,I had to see my G,P a couple of days later, and asked him to have look.He saw the problem, there was no air beween two layers, said hold your nose and blow, and your ear should pop.. and it did, he also gave me a nasal spray .to open up something or other.  so, I was blowing and inhaling for a few days,and my hearing came back..... The TT person referred me to the Top Gun.. and I see him on Monday. Thought it prudent for him to give me the once over, and to tell me that there is nothing to be done about "The Noise " Same regime at bedtime Radio 4 and a sleeping tab ,still wake up 4-ish and can't get back to sleep for the noise. Forgot this site doesn't show spelling errors, so, if you find any I have missed . well spotted. The noise machines are still useful, but they have to be tuned like a Ferrari..  I can't believe it's 3 years , I believe I mentioned that T.T is not temporary, and was poo-pooed. ..do you believe me now ???????????????? nice to hear from you, suppose you will now disappear for another 3 years.!!!!!!!!!

Jacqueline

I find going on holiday lots, helps, I drive all over the North Yorks moors.

• Posted

hi john and eveyone,

My tinnitus started a week ago and i am not sure what exactly caused it. I was watching anime (one piece if anyone knows it) using the small headphones you put in your ears and the media i used on my laptop was VLC media player and i put the volume at 108 % where this player allows you to raise the volume up to 200%. for me the volume was not so high and in the past i used to listen to music using the same headphones with much louder volume and i never heard a ringing in my ears. only know i hear it and it is similar to a noise they show in the movies when a nearby bomb explodes and the guy cant hear anything but a ringing, this is the same sound i am hearing constantly. is mostly bothers me when i try to sleep. the funny thing is that my brother got it too two years ago while he was drilling into steel which was an exposure to a very loud noise and he says now that the sound has lessened after two years and he can live with it normally. when this happenned to my brother i was extra careful in everything regarding keeping my ears safe from loud noises but i really dont know why i have this tinnitus now since for me the sound i was exposed to from the cartoon wasn't loud at all but i let my wife listen to the same sounds of the cartoon with the same volume and headphones and she says that the screams of the anime characters are very loud and you were listening to it the whole day (loool, those of you who know anime would know that they indeed scream very loudly). i also went to an ENT and me made do all the tests and he says that my hearing is excellent and that he found exessive wax in my ears which he cleaned out and then he examined my ears again and found nothing wrong and said to me that the tinnitus would go away in a day or two which it didnt. i went to him back again and he checked me again and found nothing and said that it might be from my neck because i am suffering a bit from neck pain and prescribed me nootropil which is a blood thinning drug. i heard about this hyperbaric oxygen therapy which is a chamber you sit in for one hour under high pressure while breathing pure oxygen and with a number of specified sessions there are people who either have their tinnitus removed or lessened or no effect at all. i made an appointment for tomorrow and will give it a try although it is very expensive but its worth it. did anyone try out this HBO therapy ? did it help and after how many sessions did it show progress if any ? i hope all of you get better soon and from what i heard from my brother it will lessen with time if it did not go away in the first place. have faith in god and pray to him, he who can do everything. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.