Temporomandibular joint disorder

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have had this condition for around 7 years. It's not getting any better.

Somedays I wonder how I am going to spend the rest of my life with this discomfort.

I am just waiting for a back molar to be capped - and I can't tell if it's toothache or my condition at the moment.

The only time I get relief is when I am asleep. When I wake up, my jaw is stiff and i feel the strain of opening my mouth, but it's numb - not painful :cry:

The pain when it starts, rediates up into my cheek bone, down past my ear and into my lower jaw, towards my chin.

I have had xrays on teeth and bones, cat scan, mri scan, injections, accupuncture, drugs, tens machine

sometimes just going to sleep forever seems the best way

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I've suffered from this in the past and the pain and discomfort is simply awful sad

I ended up seeing a chiropractor who manipulated my jaw back into place ..... it wasn't a particularly pleasant procedure but made a huge difference eventually.

My dentist then made me a mouthguard to prevent me from grinding my teeth in my sleep and this has worked wonders.

Do hope you get some relief soon.

I can well understand your desperation sad

• Posted

TMJ can be treated in different ways. One is, as Eleanor mentioned, wearing a splint or a mouth guard to prevent you from subconsciously grinding your teeth. Another is occlusal equilibration, which is for reshaping the biting surface of your teeth. Consult with your dentist to find out which treatment is right for you. In the meantime, eat soft foods to give your muscles some rest, avoid chew gum, avoid clenching or tensing and apply moist heat to relax the muscles.
  • Posted

Hey, I am new here, I have been have severe facial pain for 6-7 months. Went to see my doctor who told me the joint was swollen and to take Ibuprofen 3 times a day and it would take 6 weeks to heal. Went back to my GP several times and i was told it was all in my head.

Visited my dentist who took X-rays, made me a splint for my bottom teeth but i find this doesn't help but instead wakes me up during the night with aching pain (kind of feels like my jaw has locked up), once removed and moved my jaw around a little bit I can go back to sleep. I take 100mg of Tramadol and 1000mg 4 times a day. I also have an appointment with a Maxillofacial surgeon soon. I really hope that my jaw is fixed soon, i miss eating normal food.. I live on protein shakes, soup, pasta and custard or rice pudding! Anything that needs more than two chews.. forget it sad

I havent been diagnosed with anything yet, How did you guys (and girls of course) get diagnosed with TMJ and what pain killers you on? I am starting to wonder if I will suffer with this for many years to come,

I have also noticed this is an old thread, which i am sorry for reviving but I do also wonder how everyone in this thread is doing now?

• Posted

See a chiropractor, you may have TMJ/TJMD (same thing) I had it for 2 years, along with nasal/ear/Eustachian tube dysfuntion. I tried lots of different therapies and then saw a chiropractor who cured me completely! I never thought it would be possible after 2 years but it was and it has changed my life.

Seriously, I suffered for 2 years and was contemplating suicide most days, please please please, see A chiropractor and if it works for you spread the word by any means possible!

Anna

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.