Temptation

Posted , 6 users are following.

I've written before about this, but it seems to be getting worse. Some details: After about 40 years regular drinking, the latter years heavily, I managed to stop completely without help over 11 years ago. Not a drop! But the temptation to have a little something again is becoming stronger and stronger now to the extent that it's almost always in my thoughts. Are there any ways to stop these niggling voices in my head? It may be that now I'm 72 I have more time to think about enjoying another drink as long as it stops after one or two. And why not enjoy my remaining time on the planet? I'm delighted I managed to stop reasonably easily, but even after 11 years, I'm struggling to continue the good work...

2 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hello John

Chances are John you're suffering from alcoholism - a mental illness characterised by thd mental obsession to take a drink. The reality is one drink will not be enough. If you are an alcoholic you will not be able to moderate & you will likely return to your previous levels if drinking or probably worse as alcoholism is a progressive illness. It gets worse as you get older. Where you were able to stop 11yrs ago you may find you cannot if you start again. The only answer is abstinence. Try AA for an end to the obsessive thoughts of a drink.

All the best John. Hope this helps

Marc

• Posted

Fully agree with Marc. Do not do it. I do not trust myself even after 5 1/2 years and know that one small drink will lead to more. I did stop for 3 months and had one drink and it became a lot but that was some years ago. I consequently knew that I had to have a very clear goal when I tried again one year later and it worked one more drink will lead to Moore. Best of luck!
  • Posted

Hi john

yes I remember the blackcurrant cordial and your previous posts.

My reply is still like last time, don’t  Very hypocritical I know, seeing as I now drink socially.

google alcohol kindling, you’ll change your mind if you read all about it. Please don’t destroy your life

• Posted

It won't stop after one or two. There is a medication that helps stop the niggling voices for many, Campral.

For some reason not many people want to try it, even it has virtually no side effects. You need to find something to occupy your time or alcohol will fill the gap.

• Posted

You and I have both found campral successful. I don’t know why folk are reluctant to give it a go?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.