Ten Weeks With My Mothers Pancreatitis And Getting Worse

Posted , 4 users are following.

My 70 year fit and healthy mother collapsed in horrendous pain ten weeks ago and was admitted to hospital with suspected infected gallbladder. To cuts a huge long story short we have every diagnosis given from indigestion to inoperable pancreatic cancer with 6 months to live. That last diagnosis has been refuted and they are sure mum has pancreatitis. She has been pumped with antibiotics, on bucket loads of painkillers, lost over three stone in weight and now has had a chest drain in for three days pumping out litres of fluid. Her infection rate is still high and all the scans and tests are proving to be inconclusive. I am just watching her waste away with no pro active solutions coming from the hospital. Has anybody got anything I can suggest to the doctors or is this the course of this disease. What is her prognosis? Could it turn to pancreatic cancer? 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

sounds similar to my husbands case...first off is there a gastroenterologist on the case, there should be?  You must also have an infectious disease doctor on this case ASAP.  Hospital fought me on this but I insisted, infectious guy got rid of the infection in several days!  Regular docs do not have the experience with pancreatitis.

You must advocate for your mom totally.   I fought everyone at the hospital  and ended up at the administrators office refusing to leave until things I felt should be done, were being done!  Its a sad commentary on todays medical "professionals?" and hospitals but you must be the voice for her.  Insist on further tests, more CT scans, is there a cyst on her pancreas?  Good luck God bless you both  Hang in there and be a bitc* if you have to!!!   xoxoxo

• Posted

I agree 100%, you need to be an advocate for your mother and take the fight to the doctors who are not listening.  Many doctors want to right it off as something else without really investigating to find out what the probelm actually is.  It seems many doctors just want to do the bare minimum and prescribe a pill to solve the problem.  My prayers for you and your mum.   
  • Posted

Thank you all so much for your replies and have taken your advice on board. Mum was discharged a couple of days ago on morphine but today seems a lot better. She is waiting for a colonoscopy and results from her pleural fluid which are testing for malignancy. We hope this is clear and then we are most likely dealing with pancreatitis with a gallbladder removal op on the horizon. She has been having waves of pain in her stomach which seems to have subsided now, but as you all know this can sometimes change by a flick of a switch. We have had different opinions from different doctors you just do not know what to believe. She has had EVERYTHING from abscesses to tumours to hernias, to pneumonia to pleurisy to indigestion to chronic pancreatitis to then cancer with only six months to live. Shocking really and psychologically horrible for my mum and us as a family to deal with. Sadly we are not the only case… I will keep you posted.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.