Tender, painful and swollen breasts

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi, I haven't posted in the menopause discussion group for some time because i thought mine was probably over and done with. However, for the last 2 weeks I have had sore, painful and slightly swollen breasts. I usually get this before my period (the last few periods beings around 6 months apart and my last period was 189 days ago), but no period has started as yet. My other menopausal symptoms have included vaginal dryness, exhaustion, night sweats and hot flushes but these all stopped a few months ago, which is why i felt perhaps it was all over. But now the tender breasts - i know that swollen and painful boobs are a symptom of perimenopause, but i have never had this symptom before - is it possible for a new symptom to appear after all this time (i started perimenopause in 2013)? Can painful boobs be a menopause swan song? I know swollen and painful breasts happen in early pregnancy too, so i did a test just in case and i am not pregnant (i would be very surprised if I was at this stage of life - I am 53 - although hubby and i do have regular unprotected intercourse (he withdraws before ejaculation because i found condoms uncomfortable with the vaginal dryness)).

So, my question really is - has anyone else experienced swollen and tender breasts late on in perimenopause when they have not experienced them before in perimenopause?

1 like, 22 replies

22 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Ok. Just started proper period. Hello blood my old friend....

• Posted

oh no! I just saw this after posting my reply to you! If it were me I'd definitely buy an ovulation test! and use protection for now!

• Posted

Hi, thanks for your replies. I did a pregnancy test when my boobs were hurting and it was negative, obviously. We do use protection..My ovaries obviously have some life in them yet!

• Posted

I got on here to pretty much find out the same thing! LOL! i still have inconsistent periods (I'm 46) and i just got done with my cycle. Generally my breasts are sore prior and up to my period. Well...this time i had my period and NOW my breasts are tender! WTH?! So I was checking to see if anyone had the same issue. sounds like it is "normal". Course nothing is "normal" with this peri crap!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.