Tenderness after constipation and "clean out"

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have a bit of IBS with constipation per the GI after a clear colonoscopy 4 years ago. I go through periods of constipation and it's tough to go without miralax daily, so we saw the GI for a colonoscopy to check things out and IBS-C is what he diagnosed me wth. I just returned from a 5 day vacation with the family and my habits were different enough that I didn't go poop for a few days. I took miralax like I usually do, but I just couldn't go at all for about 3-4 days until I got home which was 2 days ago. I cleared out yesterday morning and even more today-like even coming to the point of looser stools. Now, I have terrible low left sided pain. When I wipe, it's tender even when I walk. It's not cramping like coming and going, it's like it's just super tender now and movement or straining of any kind (even to pass gas) causes some pain. It's not severe pain, but enough that I'm bothered by it.

Just wondering if maybe because I was so full of crap (literally) that my bowels were stretched and now a little inflamed from it. I have this kind of pain here and there when I am constipated, but I'm definitely not constipated now, so I don't know why it feels so tender.

Or is this just the typical IBS flare?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I have 'attacks' such as you have described but feel extremely nauseous with them. I still feel nauseaous after a recent attack on Saturday night which was just like someone took the cork out of the bottle ! Pain down my left side and when I walk and sometimes pain which cuts across between my legs like period pain. My colonoscopy showed that I have a spegilian hernia.  keep an eye on it and take care

• Posted

Yup everything is just tender coz you've been through the wringer a bit so to speak. It'll sort itself out on a few days. Try sudocream for the sore bum lol. It really helps

• Posted

It may be an IBS flare and or a reaction to the laxatives which can cause stomach pain.  Maybe you took too much laxative if your stools became loose. I got to this point with Movicol and I stopped them and waited until my stools firmed up a bit and then ate fruit instead.

• Posted

That's what I'm wondering. The pain is completely gone now, which is great, but the loose stool almost diarrhea happened again this morning. Usually I only have to use miralax once a week and haven't needed any more than that. Between plenty of water a day, and my morning coffee, I am regular and go each morning. But when I was on vacation I had trouble having that time to sit and sip the coffee and relax enough for my bowels to move, even WITH the miralax. Took it 3 nights in a row and it didn't help. But upon returning home, it worked! The loose stools are only in the morning, Sunday bowel movements were normal, Monday they were normal, but had several until they began to feel almost too loose. And then this morning a few bowel movements, and they were pretty loose. Nothing since morning, and it's now 4pm. Tummy feels kinda rumbly and gassy but no pain. Trying extra probiotics and a bland diet today and hoping tomorrow thing will be back to normal.

Thanks for reassurance. I have health anxiety and tend to freak out when things go wrong rushing to the dr for no reason

• Posted

I have constipation just now and have no desire at all to go to the loo despite fruit and exercise. Change of diet while on holiday has caused this.  When my dad cones back to Italy from England, maybe his cooking will get my bowel habits back under control.  They were normal all last week. My own efforts have unsettled my colon.

I get too frightened to go to the doctor when something is wrong and I avoid it until panic is spewing out of me.

• Posted

Sorry you're suffering too. Mine is almost always constipation, so this bout of looseness is very off for me. Again, I'm hoping it was just the miralax being too much and that it will clear back up in a day or so. I'm finding things that work for me to keep away from constipation and usually can go every morning. Vacation is just tough on me since I am not in my routine. It's supposed to be a relaxing time and I always enjoy myself but my bowels just shut down.

I'm glad the pain is gone, because that had me worrying about diverticulitis. No pain today, just the gurgling tum and loose stools this morning.

I just tend to freak out when something out of the ordinary happens and spend thousands on medical stuff when it's not really anything at all!

• Posted

You may also be having IBS A symptoms al well where you bowel alternates between loose and constipated.  I have had this too.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.