Tenderness on the right side of abdomen and dizziness

Posted , 4 users are following.

Last Wednesday night suddenly I notice the right side of my abdomen is tender and felt swollen since the next day I noticed extreme light headedness and no matter how much fluids I  drink my mouth stays dry. The pain tenderness is on the upper right side but now when I press in around the belly it feels tender. 

I went to the hospital yesterday and they did blood work which apparently came back normal and said I probably have IBS. But just last night I noticed blood in my saliva which is scaring me! 

What could I do? 

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Rickz,

First thing you need to do is what was recently told to me.

Don't panic.

I posted yesterday about the pain in my lower right abdomen, and I've had the full battery of blood tests which showed an unusual liver enzyme spike (which returned for normal post Christmas), and a private ultrasound which revealed that my organs look unremarkable (good) but I have a slightly fatty liver. Likely due to the diet choices of the past 30 years, but I've been working on my cholesterol by eating leaner meats and more greens.

I'm not sure what's happening with my body at the minute, but they thought it was contipation back in March/April as I had some bowel (pooping) issues. I'm passing regular stools again so I'm not sure whats going on.

My current worry is that I wake up in the morning either sore, or having no appetite at all. That's concerning me.

When you say there's blood in your saliva how much blood? Do you feel any pain in your chest?

• Posted

Thanks for the response shaun! 

I don't feel pain in the chest but the blood is red, when I wash my mouth out with water it clears but a few hours later it's bloody again. 

• Posted

Could be any amount of things. Gum disease or a slight tearing in the lining of your throat. Unless you're spitting gobs of blood punter you're doing fine. 

Check my comment history for the post I replied to yesterday. It dealt with the same issues were both having. 

• Posted

So I  to a&e yesterday they did a physical exam, took blood, did ecg,  X ray, took urine and checked blood pressure and everything was fine! 

This can't be normal I am  dizzy and can't stand, have no appetite and spitting blood! 

I asked why they didn't do a CT or ultrasound scan and they said it's not needed. Should I request my doctor for ct/ultrasound anyway? 

• Posted

I spoke to my GP yesterday who said that it was all pointing towards IBS. You can go private for ultrasounds (and get results instantly like I did) but it'll cost around £80-£110 - would recommend if only to give you peace of mind that nothing is wrong in there. NHS ultrasounds take 3 weeks to get from the sonographer to your doctor somehow.

Ask your GP about possible IBS.

• Posted

Hi Ritz, pain and tenderness in right upper side of the abdomen may be related to liver or gall bladder. Please do ultrasonography of the abdomen; it will reveal reason behind tenderness. If ultrasonography will not have any abnormality, it will be due to intestinal disorder. Probably due to IBS. As there is no any abnormality in your blood test, blood in saliva may be due to dental problems or gingivitis. Please consult your dentist.
    • Posted

Thanks doc. What about a CT  scan though would that not be better? 
  • Posted

Hi Ritz, ultrasonography does not give clear information about intestine. If ultrasonography is normal, you can go for CT abdomen. It will give clear information. However, CT scan is generally suggested if the doctor has doubt about abdominal mass or metastasis or if there is any abnormal finding in ultrasonography. For more clear diagnosis of colon, colonoscopy is a very good option. It gives the clear information about colon. Many colon diseases accidentally reveal during colonoscopy. Depending on the clinical examination doctor may think for colonoscopy.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.