Tendon repair

Posted , 4 users are following.

Has anyone had a peroneus brevis tendon repair or graft done? I'm scheduled Thursday and super anxious. Everything I've read says recovery is brutal. Also everything I've read says I would be casted and the nurse told me today I would be sent home in my boot.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jennifer, 

I had my peroneus braves tendon and a ligament repaired on Nov. 13th. Which makes me 12 weeks out of surgery. 

Mine were reconstructed and a screw was put in.  Day of surgery was not hard at all. Honestly, once they take your vitals and you get in the operating room you'll be fine. 

Going home I was in a splint and I also had a nerve block in my leg so the pain was not brutal the first day.

Things to do: Keep a head of your meds! This is important!! Don't let yourself get behind and don't be a hero and think its no big deal. It is!

HAVE HELP at least for a few days!! Very important!

Even with the splint, ICE and Elevate... and Keep elevating. 

Get yourself anything that can help you, a grabber, a scooter , a basket on your scooter. 

Hydrate!

My nerve block lasted about 12 hours. Some say it lasts about 24 hours.... but make sure you still take your meds.

If you go home in a boot, keep doing what they want you to do... I was in the splint cast and then a fiberglass cast and then a brace. 

The recovery isn't great. But I'm sure it could be a lot worse. In the cast I felt great. I was NWB for 5 weeks and once the cast came off I went right to WB. This is where I feel my recovery was the toughest. But if you do what your doc says and  have help you should be ok!

Good luck and keep us posted !

Rose

• Posted

Thanks for the information! I just am in disbelief that I wont be casted I guess . The doctor said looking at the MRI he doesn't know that he can reconstruct it. May just clean up the diseased part and attach to the adjacent tendon . I'm just dreading all of this ..3 kids to tend to...etc...

• Posted

Hey Jennifer, 

You still may be splinted first. Depends on what your doc finds in there. My injury was over a year ago. I fell. X-rays showed just a grade 3 sprain. But the pain never went away. Finally had an MRI and it showed damaged/ tears but he didn't think they were as bad as they were. 

When I woke up and saw the splint cast I was told to return 2 weeks later for the hard cast. 

Even so, your boot will be ok. Super hard and secure. 

I really hope you have help with 3 kids and or they are old enough to help themselves for some things. 

You really are going to have to rest quite a bit. Being put under knocked me out for almost a week of sleep. 

Wishing you well! 

Rose

• Posted

I have family helping.. kids are 13, 4 and 2 so...lol. my MRI showed it's pretty extensive. He said he won't know exactly what he will end up doing when he opens it up. I think just this anxiety building is driving me bonkers .

• Posted

Hi Jennifer,

I just wanted to wish you well for tomorrow! I know your nerves are probably sky rocketing by now. Just keep the focus and you'll be ok. Trust me after all said and done for the first few days you'll be snoozing and healing. 

?Any questions don't hesitate to reach out.

Best of luck!

Rose

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.