Tendonitis

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have terrible pain in my upper left arm from shoulder to halfway to my elbow... apparently due to calcium deposits on my tendons on the rotator cuff .

Any suggestions on how to sort this out , without surgery ?I previously had a ' sub clavicular arthrilicosis ' ( spelling may be wrong !) and this worked well for 4 or 5 years... Dr Bremer of Westville Hospital carried out the procedure using lapriscopic surgery .

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

As you are in the Prostate Forum were you ever prescribed Cipro or a Fluoroquinolone for a prostate infection no matter how long ago. One of the side effects of them is tendonitis. If not at the time other later drugs can trigger the reaction.

• Posted

I agree with Derek that the problems with the tendons on any major joint (Achilles as well as shoulder) can often be traced back to a course of Cipro (or other fluoroquinolone) - unless there is a more physical explanation.

I think you had treatment for Subclavicular atherosclerosis? This is a problem with the subclavicular artery which carries blood from the heart into the arms. (Does this sound right?).

Blood vessel problems are also common with fluoroquinolones (but less well known as they are not so visible). You may have seen recent warnings about possible aortic dissection or aneurysm connected to Cipro and the other FQs but it's often not realised that they can cause these problems of weakness in the vessel walls throughout the entire body.

This is in addition to the common tendon and muscle problems and central nervous system problems. Cipro has been the first-line drug for prostatitis problems for many years (I assume this is why you've posted in the prostitis forum?). Many men are prescribed it for 4 -6 weeks at a time so are prime candidates for the Adverse Reactions which can manifest days, weeks or even months after a course was taken.

You may have had some many years ago and then more recently or maybe you have never taken a fluorquinolone and your problems are caused by something else - we don't actually know!

• Posted

Hi David

I am right handed.

My daughter is a physio therapist.She suggested exercises in which one lies on a flat surface and with upper arms at 90 degrees from spine and upper arms paralell to spine , one puts albows and wrists on the flat surface .

Hold down for 10 seconds , off for 2

Repeat 3 x

Then bring elbows together - like flapping wings

Then there are ' wall angels ' same as above but against a wall

This has helped ease the right hand side

Left hand side is still very sore - especially at night while lying down - even if I dont lie on it

Regards

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.