Tennis elbow op gone wrong?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi, I had an op for tennis elbow in early June. Following the op, my arm has locked at a right angle meaning i can't straighten it. I've been doing physio religiously since the op but it did nothing to improve the mobility of my arm. Two months after the op i had a follow-up appointment with my consultant who said i'd just been unlucky and the muscles had seized across the joint which was causing the problem. He said in order to correct this i needed to have my elbow manipulated whilst under general anaesthetic. The manipulation procedure was done a week ago and there hasn't really been any improvement. My elbow still feels locked solid. I've managed to get an appointment to see the consultant next week (it was going to be 6 to 8 weeks after!) but i'm worried about what will happen next. Has anyone else experienced this problem? IF so, what was the solution? The orthopaedic nurse practitioner i spoke to last week said that in 14 years of dealing with tennis elbow sufferers, she'd never seen an elbow lock in this way post surgery. Any advice would be gratefully received! TIA

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi Emma

?I didn't have tennis elbow, but after a fracture eight years ago and several surgeries I have had a locked elbow in a right angle for near on two years now. My arm is self fusing - so the bones are causing the issue due to a lack of cartilage rather than it being muscular, so I am not sure if its the same thing really. Mine is extremely painful - like a really bad arthritis. Do you have pain? if you don't have pain I would suggest you try not to mess with your elbow too much. I have had seven years of surgery, pain and constant stiffness and some of it is probably caused by them 'trial and erroring' on my arm. I am now due to have more surgery to try and separate the bones but its experimental and I will most likely end up with an elbow replacement when older - something I am trying to steer clear of as only 40 with young kids. So I am afraid mine isn't a good example or success story, but I just wanted to warn you against having them mess with it too much, especially if you don't have pain today. And if you do have surgery, or manipulation whilst under - make sure that the physio you have after is not 'hands-on' as in, don't let the physio pull your arm around, as I (and my consultant) believe the scar tissue that causes is the main cause of my long term issue. Good luck, feel for you!

• Posted

Thanks ever so much for your comment adelleharry. Yes i'm in pain and i'm currently taking strong painkillers for it. The only way i can describe it is like having a dull toothace type pain around the joint. I'm so sorry to hear about your situation...I can't imagine putting up with this for 2 years! I'm in my early 30s and otherwise fit and healthy so was hoping i'd recover well following the first op. The nurse i've been speaking to said that locked elbows usually only occur after a fracture so i'm worried about why mine has seized following a muscular procedure. I really hope all goes well with your next round of surgery...you have my sympathy!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.