Tens and arthritis of spine?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Does anyone know of cases of spinal arthritis that have had pain relief using tens machine? Thank you. M. L.

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

[b:7dd91b700e] :D i have just bought one today i have osto arthiritis its seems to be working so far they are selling them at loyds chemist 14.99 i think its worth it becky[/b:7dd91b700e][color=darkblue:7dd91b700e][/color:7dd91b700e][color=darkblue:7dd91b700e][/color:7dd91b700e]
  • Posted

I have been under treatment for chronic low back pain for 10+ years. In 1999 my family doctor prescribed a TENS unit to be used in conjunction with Tylenol 3. This combination worked well until 2001, when, after getting much worse, I was diagnosed with spinal stenosis. In February 2002 I had back surgery, which only seemed to make things worse. I am now on a 50mcg Fentanyl patch, 10mg Methadone 1 tablet 4x/day, 50mg Ultram 2 tablets 4x/day, 25mg Elavil 3 tablets at bedtime, and 20mg Lexapro 1 tablet in the morning. Most days I also use my TENS in the late afternoon to control breakthrough pain in lieu of 2 Lortab 10 every four hours. Some days, I still need the Lortab 10, but not very often. In November 2003, I had to retire from driving a school bus and from farming so I could take the medicine I needed. I know you are wondering how I can even stand up with that kind of drug regimen. My theory is that the drugs are so busy with holding the pain in check, there isn't enough to knock me on my butt. Well, it's just a theory.
  • Posted

Yes  Margaret, I had a tens unit implanted 10-2012 and although  it was hard to accept emotionally when I did and looked back with an objective eye I can see it is REALLY helps arthritus in my next..had 2 fusions there...and peripherial neuropathy  in my haad...the primary reason. They said it was for a "perminent headache only" but it help in other areas.

Boym it hurt so much to put it in as I had to be awake so they knew where to put it in my neck. They could put me under to install the battery though. I charge it with a device evey 2 or 3 days and using another device to turn it up or down.. Good luck

• Posted

Transcutaneous electrical stimulation delivers an electrical current through the skin via electrodes. TENS works by overstimulating the A-beta nerves in order to mask the pain signal caused by A-delta and C fibers (gate control theory). Low current amplitudes and shorter pulse durations are needed to depolarize sensory nerves. Patients with chronic low back pain have found it beneficial to wear TENS for long periods of time to help reduce the pain.

OA can cause muscle spasms which can contribute to Low back pain. Both Heat and Cold packs can reduce the muscle spasms and pain. OA also causes stiffness; heat will aide in decreasing the stiffness.

Physical Therapy sessions will focus on regaining lost ROM and strengthening the paravertebral and abdominal muscles. by strengthening the abdominal muscles, there will be more support for the spine. If movement is painful and/or not tolerated, strengthening should be conducted doing isometrics, then slowing progressing to concentric and eccentric.

Low impact exercises (swimming and walking) are beneficial because they do not add an increased amount of stress to the joint. Aquatic therapy is extremely beneficial...

• Posted

Well, one of my issues before my fusion was osteoarthritis. I used a TENS unit often and it helped... I feel like it was a bandaid but it helped while using it. There were times my back was so bad I felt like just beating it with a baseball bat (I know that sounds scary) andon these days the TENS u it came in handy. I hope this helps some.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.