Tens Machine

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have TN an have currently had a flare up where it was so painful i came out temperature was sick and nearly passed out with the pain. However i know from exeperience that it is always best to see the dentist first because it easier to rule out teeth problems, especially after having two lots of oral surgery since September 2014, the lst lot 2 weeks ago. So toafter last nights agnising performance convinced i had an abcess went to see my dentist and nothing no abcess no bad teeth ive had x rays and ests done on my teeth had a second opinion at the request of my dentist and the second dentist said my teeth were fine so hence TN again but this time it was worse than ever i dont seem to be able to control it. Has anyone been advised against a tens machine or used one the one i have actually has a write up by a professor who states it can be used but initially very low if it hurts take it off and put it on the other side of the face. I dont know if i should concult with my GP as i have to go back and see my dentist for a review. im now off work for a week as the pain is so bad, well it must have been to make me sick at 130am this morning i was so close to carting myself off to A and E. Im now on Gabapentin 1 x  300mg 3 times a day ibuprofen 1 x  400mg a day  3 times a day and paracetamol every 4 hours and antibiotics as a just in case for the next 5, the only time i get relief in is about half hour after i take the gabapentin and ibuprofen for about 3 - 4 hours then the pain starts creeping back again teeth ache face ache ear ache jaw ache, its frightening its so painful im scared of waking up in the morning because of the pain.

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Karen 25221,

So sorry. I was there in 2007. Sounds like you have exhausted what the dentist or GP can do for you in the short term. You need relief fast, and a new patient appointment can take time. I recommend you go to the emergency room. The ER doctor may change your medication, and put you on a temporary solution until you can get to the right doctor.

ER worked for me. What a relief ! A neurologist has taken over, and I manage with Tegretol.

eddie13

• Posted

Yes Eddie trying to control it myself if I can't get in under control I will be going to A+E

I'm. Petrified of waking up in the pain I was inin last night if I do I'm off to see my GP.or A+E which ever I can get into First I'm. Off work.for a week at the moment dentist wants to see me to check on dental. Side of it but in think. They exhausted that today but may try my tens machine it's supposed to help thanks for your response and advice eddie

• Posted

Your teeth are not the problem.  The TENS macine will do nothing for your problem.  The toothache problem, a side effect of trigeminal neauralgia, can be handled with Tramadol.   I suspect you have trigeminal neuralgia.  Ask your Dr. about stereotactic radiology, aka Gamma Knife.  It is radiation isolated to the trigeminal nerve.  I have had this treatment twice.  The first time cure lasted about 18 months and the second time is still in effect; about three years.
  • Posted

Hi Karen

not sure I can add much to the discussion but you clearly need help and the right help.

My route was GP - dentist - neurologist - correct diagnosis - appropriate treatment. In my case, this was Tegretol.

I've used a TENS machine for sciatic pain but never for TN. I'm sure the advice, regarding the use of the TENS machine, strongly recommended NOT using it near the face but I'd need to confirm that.

Don't give up - keep plugging away and keep chasing things. You have my sympathy - it's a real pig!!

Colin

• Posted

Thanks Guys Charlotte i know what the effects of TN are had it long enough now, but the meds i have just ssem to run short ie the pain comes back before the next set of meds are due, thats why i why wondering if anyone had indeed used the tens machine (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3159350/) ; I dont just get teeth ache and jaw ache it affects the whole side of my face and is currently numb ear ache sore throat. as well, i have seen the dentist who has xrayed and done various tests and has examined my teeth and jaw, he has also had another dentist do the same for a second opinion, and ihave to go back for a review with him monday  but may well see my GP tomorrow to sort my meds out, im off on a trip to the Himalayas in June i want it sorted by then, even if it means i have to take medication everday, at this stage i dont think i need neurologist but thats doen to my GP not me, if he thinks i need referring im sure he will, but actually havent seen him this time its been dentist although this is my 3rd flare up only and the worst
  • Posted

Hi Karen

Forgive me, but I'm a little confused. Who actually gave you a positive diagnosis for TN in the first place? Most GPs choose to refer their patients at an early stage rather than wait for them to go through months of hell with no clear indication of what's wrong with them! You say, in your response to Charlotte, that you are familiar with TN, so presumably this must have been the result of someone's diagnosis. Perhaps I've missed something along the line? Personally, I wouldn't dabble with a TENS machine without professional guidance. 

The Himalayas - now your talking! Yes, you need a regime before your stuck at X thousand feet in refined air and cold temperatures!

• Posted

Yes Colin it was diagnosed by my GP 3 years ago but have controlled it with gabapentin ibuprofen and paracetamol, this time because I had oral surgery September I went straight to my dentist to make sure it wasn't teeth orientated so now teeth have been ruled out of the equation and it's TN I can go back to my GP and possibly get referred although if I can manage it I will with medication, GP, neurologist all the same to Me as long as I'm not in pain and I can continue my daily life normally, if I can control under my GP why waste an appt with a neurologist when someone.may be more needy than myself .
  • Posted

Please go to a nuerosurgeon. Don't use a tens. U can cause more harm without guidance from a proper nuerosurgeon that specializes in TN

the reason I am not agreeing wi th your dr is that I have never in any of my research or heard of treatment with a tens. I see the world's leading nuerosurgeon in facial pain. He never would or even suggested that. Go to TN association Web site just Google it it is first come up. They list treatments and research in TN.

I had 5 yrs ago a motor cortex stimulator implant. It Is Last Resort FOR TN Not Caused By A Blood Vessel. But there are so many other treatments that can help. But only a nuerosurgeon specializing in TN. can tell u what's best for u.

I only say this beca a nerve that is misfiring pain signals and u stimulat it with out a nuerosurgeon guiding u it could put u in a bad situation. Please be careful moving forward and my heart goes out to u.

• Posted

Hi Natalie no i brought one for my back, but i was reading a resaerch on tens for TN its relatively new, it wasnt my GP who suggested it at all. Just had enough they are just treating it with Gabapentin paracetamol and ibuprofen 400, which is ok gets rid of the pain until i stop taking them im in a catch 22 at the moment i relatively pain free apart from the teeth pain from it but cant drive because medication makes me sleepy, so off work, i have to return to work to do that i have to drive, but would have to stop the medication which i have done and the pain is creeping back again x  GP wont refer me to neuro surgeon my dentist is hoping it will settle down as he doesnt want to do unneccessary work on my teeth. so im a bit stuck but then thats the UK health system for you x
    • Posted

I know this is an old thread but just wondered if you did ever try a TENS machine. My husband has TN - used Amitriptyline which did help a bit then tried Tegretol but had to stop taking that after ending up in A & E so went back on Amitriptyline but this stuff makes him feel anxious if he has to up the dose! GP, consultant and dentist all not very sympathetic and keep dishing out the drugs! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.