Tens Machine

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi πŸ™‹

Just a quick question.

Does a TENS machine work well on arthritic joint pain?

Would appreciate any feedback...thanks

mark357

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

The short answer is yes. I don't know what type of arthritis you have but it should releive some of the pain. The TENS is not a cure and no one is really sure exactly how it works. It is similar to accupunture. It works to mask the pain for a while and you can use it as often as you want.
    • Posted

Hi πŸ™‹ john30536

I have osteoarthritis, I have had a TENS machine before, but heard a rumour that the TENS and the vibration/s can do more harm than good and was not sure. I believe that the TENS confuses the nerves and blocks the pain...not 100% sure. It was suggested by my doctor, as I was told that in the near future I will need to have surgery to fuse the vertebrae together in order for me to be able to hold my head up.

Anyway I have a machine coming and will use it as my doctor has already said, with the amount of pain killers I am taking and not touching the pain, anymore may do me more harm than good. Not only that I also have those pain relief plasters.

Would like to thank you for your help with this matter. πŸ‘

Your humble servant

maek357

• Posted

I have osteoathritis in my C-spine and L-spine and have used it for more than 12 years for both.

Just don't turn the intensity too high. Many people think it is no pain, no gain but you just want to feel a mild or moderate electrical impulse. You don't need or want it to cause spasms and jerk you around. That is way too much and will not do anything more for you. you want to do exactly what you said, confuse the nerves, not overwhelm them.

• Posted

Yes but I recommend starting with a low setting for a week or two before trying it higher. Also, you really have to use it regularly to notice a difference. I've heard of people noticing a difference right away but it took me a while.
  • Posted

I have had osteoarthrites since my mid 20's ( I am 64 now). My doctor at that time said this type is pretty much like old age and my joints have worn out from high activity since I was little (age 3 started competitive sprinting). Lots of sports and other outdoor activities. I got tested for rheumatoid and it was  negative, just the old worn out stuff. I have had surgeries, chiropractic, accupunctor, cortisone shots, pain pills, heat and cold packs and tens over the years since I was 14. Right now I have a hip/back/leg problem and it is severe. I use my tens unit every day, usually several times a day. I tease that I look like a kitchen appliance because I leave the pads and wires on and the lead to the machine on with it hanging out the back of my sweat pants :0  It really helps when it is on and I can even walk without screaming after I put it on. I usually leave it running for an hour at a time. It feels good while I am using it and then the relief last for some time. When I start hurting again, I just turn it on for another session. I start out with the lowest setting and gradually increase it... all this done in a minute or less. Since I am used to using it, I take it as high as I can handle and can come back down in strength as I need. Different areas of the body handle different levels. You have to learn to adjust it for your own needs. When in dout take it slow... as someone said... you don't want to be in pain from the device.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.