TENS unit post op

Posted , 5 users are following.

Before I left hospital, I had a word with my nurse about using my TENS machine to help after discharge. I asked because it says not to be used with implanted devices and, of course, I have a large lump of metal where there used to be bone.

she was good enough to go talk with my surgeon and he said there was no problem doing this but the jury is still out whether it helps or not.

well, I have been using it for the past week as part of my support stuff and, alongside pain relief, icing and exercise, I think it does help.

purely subjective of course but maybe worth a try?

the unit I'm using comes from lloyds pharmacy, here in the uk and it is their dual channel one. It has different programs for different areas of the body and there is a special one for knees. It cost about 15 GBP if I remember right.

just a thought.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi the Tens machine sounds good I'lll ask my Doc about it.

I'm on week 4 today and last night was the best since the Op..instead of waking up every hour I actually slept for 4 hours Yippee I keep up with the exercises and the ice pack and feel better today than I have done sines the Op

onwards and upwards 

Jean 

• Posted

I have pretty much the same unit approved by US regulators. I have found putting one of the leads just to the side of the L-4, L-5 vertibrae and one lead on my butt on the same side then setting to lower back loosens that big muscle that runs my leg. Even though I'm 77 , 6'1" 200lbs I still have pretty strong, tight muscles in my lower body and the TENS unit helps. In the US medicare used to buy and support the equipment with proper medical documentation but with health care restrictions, may no longer be the case. Just a note: if it seems to lose effectiveness, the leads are going bad and if that happens it will suddenly make you feel the muscle is being yanked from  your body. Just get the leads replaced and it will be fine.
  • Posted

Hi. I will be one week post op right TKR tomorrow ... I spoke to my surgeon who said the TENS is ok to use and also biofreeze gel ... Used the biofreeze so far being careful yo keep it away from the edges of my dressing and it flies give a little relief.

i am making faces through the exercises, but doing them and the degree of bend is improving. Pushing the back of the knee down onto the mattress fine, walking slow but fine with only an occasional wobble. Raising the leg off the bed difficult np but I am persevering.  Elevating the leg is difficult for me as I have real back problems and my sciatic nerve has reacted badly to the op.

if I got more sleep I could more easily pu tip with the red hot pain, bruising and swelling, aches, nerve jangles etc.  praying it will get easier more quickly than is suggested on the forums ... 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.