Tension headaches and groggyness

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi there.

Every 6 months or so I suffer with what I think is tension headaches. Like a tight band around my head or pressure building in the head. Causes me to loose concentration and focus. Can cause my mind to wonder and obviously some anxiety kicks in as it is a permanent thing.

Doctor prescribed me 10mg of Amit middle of last year for a month and the headaches went away.

Now this year they are back and I'm now back on the pills. After week one the headache itself has eased although it's still lurking there somewhere. But I feel this time around I'm starting to have some side effects.

Some days I feel like I'm hungover. Numbness or tingling in hands and legs. Random twitches here and there etc

Just feel overall sluggishness, like I'm not really with it.

Wanted to ask are these feelings normal? I'm sleeping like a king! No loss of appetite and no nausea, so not overly concerned it's anything serious, just hoping this feeling goes away sooner than later. .

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Peter

I take ths medication at 50mg daily for nerve and tendon damage. 10MG is a small dose and I would imagine if you take it at night it may help you to sleep.

I get pins and needles because of a medical condition, the drug is an Antidepressent and controls the feelings you mention. If it is working keep at it. 

Not sure how old you are, if Middle Aged and have joint problems that may be causing tendon and nerve damage.

Are you taking any NSID medications or have Arthritis ?

BOB

• Posted

Hey Bob.

Thanks for replying. I am 36 and no other medical conditions that I am aware of.

Just this permanent dull tension headache that never goes away. Like I said , with it being permanent it does get me down and affects concentration.

Doctor said that this medication can be used for chronic tension headaches. But the side effects concern me.

I have no real stresses in life, happily married and have a job I enjoy. Could do with losing a stone and drinking less possibly. Usual stuff.

I'm planning on going for a professional back and shoulder massage to see if that eases the tension.

• Posted

Peter

It may be a good idea to rule out any eye strain, if not already make an appointment wth an Opticion and see if your eyes are ok.

Generally we need to get our eyes hecked at least every two years. Give that a try.

Regards headaches I get them from medications sometimes, I need to get my eyes checked every year and have just moved and my new opticion needs to see me every six months because of a eye condition passed down from my family etc.

You are entitled to have your eyes done in the UK, make sure all is ok

Like you after a few drinks, mornings can be problematic I sympasise Lol

BOB

• Posted

Hi Peter, as someone who has been on Amit for several years I can tell you of at least two things I have experienced for myself -not necessarily true for everyone. The first thing is that as you keep using the med, your body (head, mind, limbs etc... ) gets used to it and all those symptoms disappear, But the efficacy of the med remains. 

The second thing is that unless you take the med regularly every day as prescribed, you will continue to experience these symptoms. My doctor has often suggested to take my tablets "intermittently" but that never worked. It just "messed me about". From my point of view continuity is the best course of action. Either take it or discontinue it altogether. But discuss it with your GP first.

• Posted

Hey Rose

Thanks for this, like i said before i took these for a month last year and it cured my headaches (maybe they just went away of theyre own accord of course) but i suffered no side effects at that time, this time they seem to be affecting me a little more. I will take your advice and continue with them, its only day number 9 for me taking 10mg, so i think i need to take them for a full 30 days again to see the outcome.

• Posted

Hi Peter, It is true that Amitriptilyne (Ami for short) is prescribed for a number of other complaints including headaches. But I agree with Bob, have you eyes checked out to rule out any possible root cause of your symtoms. 

In the meantime, unless the side effects become very severe continue with your tablets. 10mg is a small dose.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.