Tension-type Headache

Posted , 4 users are following.

Im a 19 year old male. I used to suffer with severe migraines and was admitted to hospital a couple of years ago where they discovered i suffered with tension migraines. Ive only had the odd one since i was admitted a couple of years ago. However, they returned 2 to 3 weeks ago and are soncictant. Everyday i wake up with one and it doesnt disappear during the day. The only tume im free from them is when i am asleep. Can anyone offer any advice as it feels as though there is a severe pressure build up inside my skull and it also feel as though my brain is swelling. This cannot be down to dehydration as i drink between 2 and 4 litres of water everyday.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

• Posted

Hi, sorry to hear of your suffering. Have you been prescribed any preventatives?

I have also been getting daily headaches for the past week which if I don't treat immediately turn into a full blown migraine. At the moment I am taking amitriptyline as a preventative and sumatriptan to take on the onset of a migraine which most of the time works.

I'm afraid I can't offer much hope because I have suffered with migraines for over 40 years but may be worth seeing your GP to see what meds may be suitable for you.

Good luck.

• Posted

Yeah they tried prescribing me amitriptyline and i had bad side effects, so they put me on neproxin and i had bad effects. And then when they tried gabapentin i ended up in hospital. Dpesnt seem to be much medication that works for me im afraid. But thank you for your reply. I hope your migtaines clear up soon
  • Posted

I would ask to see a neurologist have you had an MRI scan .its not nice have recurring headaches my migraines last 3 days sometimes so I know how horrible they are do you get any pain is it either side of your head there are plenty of preventatives for migraine e 8 have a few but didn’t seem to work you have tof8nd one that work for you .if concerned see your doctor 
  • Posted

I have tried both of those preventatives but put on weight and didn’t really help With migraines I am on nortriptyline now 30mg a day and I must say it doesn’t seem to reduce the amount of times I have a migraine but it does reduce the severity of them so I guess you can’t have everything but when you come offf them you have to do it very slowly although my doctor didn’t tell me how long to reduce the tablets so I think I come off them too quick and had the side effects sorry to hear you have tryed preventatives. It haven’t agreed with you everyone is different and reacts to the drugs differently hope you can find something to help you

js

• Posted

Thank you. And i will mention the Nortriptyline to my doctor. I hope your migraines clear up soon.

Kind Regards,

Mr M J Steele

• Posted

Hello

yes...first I would request an MRI just to make sure all is okay.  Rizatriptan 10mg ODT works best for me...but very important to take it right on the onset of headache or it becomes too late.  If after two hours you still have headache you can take another one but no more than 2 in a 24 hour day.  Also I don't want to take it more than 3 days as I do not want to get rebounding headaches as with any migraine meds that can happen.  My doctor recommends if on the third day headache then then take 1 fiorset with Rizatriptan to try and knock it out!

take good care!

wendy

• Posted

Thank you for your reply and advice. Ill mention rezatriptan to my doctors and see what they think. I hope your headaches get better.

Kind regards,

Mr M J Steele

• Posted

The other name for Rizatriptan is Maxalt......Rizatriptan must be the generic.  It does work great as long as you take it at the onset of headache.  I have been getting migraines from weather lately...barometer changes.

i wish you well!

Wendy

• Posted

Hi Wendy, I take sumatriptan at the onset of a migraine, I assume it's the same sort of thing, I find it works very well for me, although not recommended to take more than 3 times a week.

Interested to hear that you are suffering in this weather because I have had a headache every day for the past week, some have responded to paracetamol and aspirin but others I have had to take the sumatriptan. I came back from a Mediterranean holiday where the temperature had been similar to what we are having but strangely I didn't suffer as bad. Need more holidays, me thinks 😁

• Posted

Hi Kath

yes it appears that you are taking a triptan medication too.  I don't know the difference between Sumatriptan and Rizatriptan....all I know is that for me and I'm sure you as well they are a blessing! And yes, not good to take more than 3 days as we definetly don't want any rebound headaches,  as mentioned my neurologist said if I still have head issues after the third day it take a Fiorcet with a Rizatriptan to knock it out and to avoid getting rebounds.  Oh my goodness yes.....weather has become an issue with me with headaches.  It's like a sinus type headache with eye pressure then goes into headache.  I wish zi could take something over the counter to relieve the pressure headache so I don't have to take a Rizatriptan but I don't know what to take.  I'm sot familiar with paracetamol that you mentioned.  I am in the US and live on the east coast we have had so much rain this past week and looks like we have another week of it with the exception of Thursday and Friday.  Are you in the U.K. as you mentioned holiday

• Posted

Hello again Kathryn....sorry but I was unable to correct my mistakes  it wouldn't let me so I had to send it without ending.  I wanted to say that you say holiday and many here call holidays....vacations. I'm sure your Mediterranean holiday was wonderful!  Where were you?

Wendy

• Posted

Hi Wendy, yes I'm in the UK and at the moment we are having the worse heatwave for 40 years but I seemed fine whilst I was on holiday, cruising the Mediterranean.

In the UK we can buy an over the counter paracetamol with aspirin and caffeine, which as I said I can sometimes get by with taking. I am not aware of Fiorcet. I have suffered with migraines for over 40 years with them getting increasingly worse as I have got older. I have tried all different preventatives, seen neurologist, had MRI scan and currently now trying amitriptyline again but doesn't seem to making much difference. I just think it something that I have got to live with, providing the sumatriptan works, I can cope.

Best wishes

Kath

• Posted

Hi kath 

yes I have been suffering from migraines for about he same time have also had mri scans been to neurologist have taken numerous preventative at present on nortriptyline 30mg a day but have put on weight hasn’t helped the number of migraines but has reduced the severity of them I take Zolmitriptan for when I get them and that’s the only thing that gets rid of them I did try amitripyline but that made me very drowsy and again put on weight so I do sympathise but I don’t think it’s fair we should just put up with it .you would have thought scientist or doctors would have found something to cure migraines I have tried everything and researched why I get them I have also tried different foods and leaving of chocolate, cheese, that might trigger to then but didn’t work but it would be great if I could go for a month without having a migraines I would be happy to get through a week To be honest I do hope you can get relief from amitripyline

js

• Posted

Hello, yes I totally agree that you would have thought doctors would have found something to cure migraines but I think it is difficult because everyone suffers differently. I think I have tried nearly everything other the last 20 years when they started to get worse. At the moment amitriptyline doesn't seem to be doing much good apart from helping me to sleep at night, I haven't had any other side effects so I happy to stay on it for the time being because although like you I would love to have a week free from headaches/migraines, I am able to manage them with the paracetamol combination which seems to work most of the time. I try to leave the sumatriptan as a last resort because of not being able to take too many.

Best wishes

Kath

• Posted

I find paracetamol doesn’t do anything I’ve tried nurofen and Ibruprufen but again like you don’t like taking too many tablets because of rebound headaches but I find my migraines last 3 days but you find paracetamol helps you then that’s good I also leave taking my  Zolmitriptan too late probably but then I start to feel sick with the pain then I know i have To take it . The thing is there is only 6 tablets in a pack so if I have to take my zomig for 3 days then I get another one the next week that’s my tablets gone within 2 weeks then I have to order more I don’t think nortriptyline is helping really but as I am putting on weight I think I might have to come off it slowly but again doctor hasn’t told how to do it and when I did I got side effects .i rang and told doctor and she said take the tablets 1 day then reduce it by 2 then 1 then every other day then every other 2 days etc to ween of it I suppose like any drugs you have to this slowly and then see if I get the migraines back as bad so will try that 

js

• Posted

Hi Kath

do you drink plenty of water?  Is everyone drinking enough water?

• Posted

Hi Wendy, yes I drink lots of water, de caff tea and no alcohol. I try to keep fit and have actually taken up running and was really pleased with myself to complete a 5k run on a warm day and surprisingly no migraine. I have just accepted that it is something that I've got to live with and providing the sumatriptan and/or the paracetamol works quickly, I am able to get on with my life.

Good luck with yours.

• Posted

I have also tried nortriptyline but again didn't find it much good. I think doctors just keep prescribing all these different drugs without actually knowing if they are going to work or not, like you I wish more money could be spent on research. Have you heard anything about the injection which is supposed to be a ' miracle ' cure? Also, I don't know what zomig is, how does that work? Fortunately, I am able to get 2 x 6 sumatriptan every month, so that does allow me 3 a week which sometimes I need. Where are you? I am in the UK.

• Posted

Hi Kath

I am 66 and live in the US on the east coast.  I'm feeling the same as you that this is part of my life which is difficult in making plans, etc as I never know when Migraine will start to come on or if its weather related as we have shared.  I use to be able to use OTC Excedrine Migraine but sadly I cannot take them as I cannot have any NSAIDS....ugh!  The Rizatriptan helps to keep me out of the ER which is a Hugh blessing!  As long as I take one right away I'm okay.....but if it's weather related I have a harder time keeping the discomfort away and lasts longer.  If I take a Rizatriptan one day, the next day it will wear off and I need to take another one...probably due to the pressure from barometer.  I did not have migraines before menapause....... but I have after.....which is crummy!  We had a surprise at age 40 as I became pregnant with our second daughter.....the girls are 19 years apart!!  I don't think that brought the migraines on I can't remember when they actually started.  The weather here as mentioned has been rain rain rain.....I started a head issue right when the rainy front came...lasted a couple days then went away even though it was still rainy....go figure....I hope your temps have gotten better there at home!

have a nice day Kath.

wendy

• Posted

I have heard that the barometer has bearing on migraines well I live in the UK I have tried to keep a diary as to when the weather is low if I get a migraine but as the weather has been so hot I’m still gettting them so bang goes that idea. I’ve been told it is to do with chemicals in the brain well not sure how we can gauge that . I have not had or tried rizatriptan I have been on Zolmitriptan for years now. It’s my saviours if I didn’t have that then I think I would just give up I do have to wait until it works which can take up to an hour but it’s the only thing that gets rid of them  and wow for your surprise at 40 how are you coping and has the hormones made any difference with the migraines
    • Posted

Hi kath I’m in UK yes I have heard about the injection and  if it was proven a success I would be at the front of the queue .but again everyone is different and could react different so I would like more info about  it I like to do m y own research to see what side effects are etc I’m always worried sorry zomig is the shorten version of Zolmitriptan I think sumatriptan is similar . I’m on nortriptyline 30 mg a day and find I’m putting on weight and still having migraines but not as severe so it must be doing something and I agree I think the doctors do keep prescribing these drugs not aware of side effects my doctor prescribed me beta blockers thinking that might help with the migraine symptoms if you read the side effects it can reduce blood pressure well I already have low blood pressure so when I read that I rang the doctors and said I don’t think I will take these as I am liable to faint if my blood pressure reduces anymore it’s always about 100 over 50/60 never above 120 so I think it’s  wise to be finding your own information sometimes  take care

JS

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.