Tension type headaches

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, just needing some reassurance so if anyone can help that would be great. I've been suffering from health anxiety for a few months now ( I have ms) but for the last 5/6 weeks I've been getting headaches on almost a daily basis, they usually come on as the day goes on sometimes they go for an hour and come back. I and the doctor think it's a tension type headache due to my anxiety but I've recently been feeling more calm so why am I still getting the headaches ??

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hey i used to get tension headaxhes from some anti depressients I was on. I as on citlopram and I give me a headache everyday when I came off it my headaches went away so it could be some medication your on that's causing the headaches

• Posted

Hi thanks for replying.. it's funny you should say that because I am on citalopram and recently ( about the same time the headaches started ) increased my dosage from 20mg to 30mg but didn't think the increase could affect me that much and never used to have headaches and been on citalopram for yrs but it's got me thinking :-)

• Posted

I was on it for years too but the headaches didnt start till I increased my dose, I'm on mitazapen now and I don't get tension headaches anymore

• Posted

Wow well that's some heck of a coincidence so I will def see the docs and say this to him or her thank you soo much and glad they have stopped now :-)

• Posted

Hi, well I went to the docs and he agreed that it could be the increase or indeed the fact that the manufacturer is different sometimes ( cheaper cost of pills even though they are still citalopram ) so basically I'm back on the original brand to see if it's that and if not we will try different antidepressants, my question to you tho Is how long after changing pills did your headaches stop or was it straight away as I've taken 3 days citalopram for now and still getting the headaches ?

Many thanks

• Posted

Hi Sharon, have you had an MRI to exclude other diagnoses? 

May i know how old are you?

• Posted

Hi max,

I'm 43. I also have MS and have yearly MRI because of the treatment I'm on., my last MRI was in September about 5 weeks before the tension headaches started.

Regards

• Posted

Not really dizziness as such, I feel a little "spacey" and off balance ( bit like I'm drunk lol ) sometimes but that comes with ms

Why do you ask? Do you get tension headaches too then ?

• Posted

Yes, i get tension headaches and when its not there its mainly the dizziness with movement.
    • Posted

Aww I see, and may I ask how long you have been getting them ? And any other conditions that you have ? What does your doctor say ?
    • Posted

I have dizziness and tension headaches daily and its really taking its toll.

I had an MRI (which was OK-ed by a radiologist and Neurologist) but one of the neurosurgeon is asking me to take another one.

• Posted

Are you on any madications that could possibly cause the headaches as that's the avenue I'm currently trying.. plus I have bad health anxiety which of course can give you tension headaches. Mine aren't all day every day and are usually only as the day goes on then they go for an hour or so and then back again but I know how desperate and worried you are because I feel it too which of course only makes it worse.. vicious circle

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.